Bait and switch

Reaction score
made deal for 24 outback oct.31 ,,,,dealer had car coming nov.8 ,,,so about a week ,,,,car is in ,,will pick up on nov. 9 ,,,,salesman text me balance due 995 more than what we agreed to ,,,,saying my 21 outback trade in dropped that much in vaule since deal was made in oct. it is now nov.8 days ago ,,,is this crazy or what

made deal for 24 outback oct.31 ,,,,dealer had car coming nov.8 ,,,so about a week ,,,,car is in ,,will pick up on nov. 9 ,,,,salesman text me balance due 995 more than what we agreed to ,,,,saying my 21 outback trade in dropped that much in vaule since deal was made in oct. it is now nov.8 days ago ,,,is this crazy or what
Do you have a signed contract.? Unless there is a contract item stating that the trade in value may change with a period of time, make them stick to the contract or walk.

Mr Bill won't have a singed contract on an ordered car. He will have placed a deposit and signed a form related to that which will specifically list this situation as it is super common. That is not crazy. It is not bait and switch either. A bait and switch would be when they lure you in with bait, then switch it. For example, come get an Outback Limited XT for $35K and then you get there and they say sorry, it is actually a Premium non XT for $35K. Your used car is just worth less money this month than it was last month. Sorry it sucks for you, but used car prices are dropping pretty fast from their extremely inflated levels. They can give you a quote of what you car is worth when you order the car, but by the time the car comes in that value will likely change and almost always downward. When I ordered my wife's car, that was clearly in the deal, and of course it is. Do you think your car is somehow locked into its value for them? If they still have it in 6 months, they will just keep it at the same price and tell perspective buyers, we set the value with Mr. Bill in October? Of course not. It is going to go down in value over time. You got a quote from October. You could have sold them your car on that date for that amount, but you decided not to. While you waited, they got new data, your car got older, you put more miles on it, it went down in value. Now your car is worth less and you think that even though you still own it, they should pay for that drop in value as time passed and you drove it more? Come on now. Kelly Blue Book and everyone else updated their data, but they should still use the old data and give you extra for your car even though they will now get less for it when they sell it?

This title should actually read, "My car went down in value while I waited for my new car and I want the dealer to pay for that"

I assume the OP has already decided by now but it is up to him now. He can take the deal, or go work a different one there or somewhere else. One thing is almost certain though, everyone is going to offer them less for their 2021 Outback now than in October and the longer they weight the lower it will go. Might be able to get a better deal on the new Outback too though.

Ask a Question