Does anyone know the hitch drop needed for towing a Forest River Rpod 179?

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Subaru Ascent Premium and I was wondering what the hitch drop is to pull an Rpod 179 level?

I have a 2019 Subaru Ascent Premium and I was wondering what the hitch drop is to pull an Rpod 179 level?
I guess I will answer my own question. It's a 6" drop. A 5.25" drop is also acceptable. I started with an 8". It was a bit to low. Its good to have a few sizes depending on load in car or trailer, or get an adjustable drop hitch.

It really depends on the tongue weight of the trailer.
if you don't know that number, you are just guessing. the dealer SHOULD be able to set up the hitch correctly for you before you take it out.
Example, I tow a 20foot airstream with my 4runner. BUT the 525 pound tongue weight was too heavy and the 4runner needed heavier springs. the stock springs were too light. Just moving the hitch height around will not balance the load correctly. Granted that the Rpod 179 is not that heavy of a trailer....

Ask a Question