ABS dash lights on

Reaction score
2016 Subaru Forester - Bought this car from a neighbor 136K miles who swears they had no issues with it - after driving 20 miles the ABS lights came on ... checked the recalls and there were 2 that needed fixing ... one being the BLS (switch). Took it down and Subaru replaced it and lights are still on. They said I needed to have them run their diagnostic test. The issue seemed to be coming from the left rear area.

The first error was left rear bearing wasn't working which I had just had replaced aftermarket. They said it was the tonal ring and they had to use THEIR part which came with the tone ring. So I said fine and that was 500+ dollars. Then it was now the diagnostics say the speed sensor is not working ... which I had also replaced aftermarket... so I said fine. THEN the machine said the VDCCM was dead .... they wanted $2100. I said no ... and went and got the car.

I talked to the manager and he did some research ... after $1000? something should have been fixed.
He made me a deal and said that he would have his head mechanic go thru the car and look for electrical issues. He would not charge me for that ... if it was the VDCCM, he would apply the $1000 against the $2100 price tag so I figured I had nothing to lose

His mechanic worked for 8 ish hours and supposedly ended up calling Subaru 'hotline' and it came up with there was an electrical short in the Bulkhead Wiring harness ... at the tune of over $5000 to fix/replace.

in addition ... all brake pads and rotors were changed, the tires were changed, the battery was replaced. The left and right REAR bearings were changed out.

I am at a loss as to what to do - the car isn't worth that ... and with whats been going on ... I don't know throwng $5000 will fix it either. Labor is $157 an hour -

Is this a common problem? Where can I get additional information?

Last edited:

Ask a Question