'14 ABS sensor failure after front end service

Reaction score
Hi, subies

I did a front end service on my '14 Impreza w/140K. It had at least one bad wheel bearing and I found a service kit that had wheel hubs, ball joints, tie rod ends, and sway bar links. Seemed like a good deal. Parts installed about how one would expect. Didn't end up doing ball joints cuz the factory bolt wouldn't even break loose and they aren't bad anyway, but the rest went reasonably well.

As soon as I started out the driveway to test drive it, dash lit up like a christmas tree and traction control started going bananas.
Pulled the driver's side off first and found that I'd bent the flange on the axle and it was hitting the ABS sensor; figured it's probably destroyed. Passenger side looked OK and I didn't butcher that flange.

I fixed the flange and reinstalled with the drivers' sensor disconnected which disables the ABS/traction control and unfortunately also sends the car into limp mode [lame IMHO]. I ordered a pair of cheap-o front ABS sensors and have installed them, but the computer still throws P500 codes and keeps the car in limp mode. I replaced the drivers' side first and had no improvement, then did the passenger and again no success. To be fair, the passenger sensor plug didn't want to go in and i had to really force it.

What I don't know is: Should I try higher dollar ABS sensors or could the wheel hubs be a problem as well? If there's no reason to suspect that wheel hubs could be the problem, I suppose I'd try another passenger sensor first. Clearly, it's one of those parts, since that's what was changed. I'm not really excited about spending any sort of money. There's a reason I do my own repairs, as it is...

I guess I'm just wanting to know if there are any little secrets, like multiple types of parts that all look and fit the same, etc. Any insight from people with experience would be appreciated.

Wheel b should bearings should have an "encoder" or magnetic strip on the outboard seal. That serves with the speed sensor to send pulses to the ABS in RPM calculations.
As for lame, faults and warning lamps forces the driver to "FIX the vehicle" and return the fuel mileage back to normal values including the controllers to react as they should, including cruise control.
Lame is also P500. "P" code are 5 digits, not 4. That will also include B, C and U codes.
A better scan tool can measure true ABS speed.
An oscilloscope can measure wheel speed as well.
Google images "abs wheel speed oscilloscope" as key words.

Attachments

• ABS Speed.jpg
    ABS Speed.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 4
I'm going to assert that it is in fact lame that they programmed the vehicle to drive in limp mode for ABS sensor fault. The purpose of limp mode is to prevent catastrophic damage to the drive-train, not to strong-arm the customer, especially considering that many very reasonable people consider ABS and traction control to be a hindrance to performance in certain conditions.
I've already added that to the litany of reasons I'll never buy another Subaru.

In the meantime...
I'd still be happy to hear from anyone who has familiarity with these vehicles and could better elicidate which part are likely causing the issue, since everything involved is a brand new aftermarket part.

Assert all you want, all my customers have operating ABS sensors working correctly, no dash lamps, no warning lamps, nothing after a competent, PROFESSIONAL and qualified repair.
Looks like you're the resident expert now.
One more point. "damage to the drive-train" ----- on what planet?

Last edited:
I thought I detected a note of condescension in your first reply.
If you have all the information, but don't want to share it why participate in a forum discussion at all? Is it just a matter of ego? Like, an opportunity to tell people you know more than them?

I came here looking for information. So far all I've found are pedantic corrections of nomenclature I used and clear signs of narcissistic personality disorder.

Ask a Question