1994 Subaru legacy non abs non turbo automatic transmission brakes as if abs was on.

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I have a 1994 Subaru legacy wagon 2.2 engine, non turbo automatic transmission. I am a second owner and had it since 2000. It hardly requires any work with the exception of general maintenance. That said, I need some input. When going down the road it quickly brakes like it has abs, which it doesn't. The brake pedal vibrates but it's being applied. This has happened on dirt road, highway and residential area, different speeds, but only three times, not all the time. My mechanic thinks it's the transmission, but we have no problems with it shifting. HELP

Eliminate the brakes by checking the brake run out.

A smart "mechanic" would test for faults:

Have the smart "mechanic" check the transmission fluid level and fluid quality.

You're welcome.

Eliminate the brakes by checking the brake run out.

A smart "mechanic" would test for faults:

Have the smart "mechanic" check the transmission fluid level and fluid quality.

You're welcome.
I just got home from the auto repair shop. The mechanic said that he has checked out the brakes, (we just had them done 2 months ago along with transmission fluid change and filter change,) he said everything on the brakes looks good but the transmission fluid looks black as ink. He is a reputable mechanic, so I am puzzled about why it is black. He thinks that when it warms up it gets stuck in 2nd gear and said the RPM goes up and down when it tries to shift. This puzzles me too, sometimes when I try to take off, cold or warmed engine, it acts like the emergency brake is on, but let's go after a little while. Also it shift fine going down the road, but when it acts up, it feels like a antilock brake is on, even though it doesn't have abs. I asked him if it could be a automatic Transmission Gear Position Sensor? He didn't think so.

This site may help:
If the fluid is black / dark then there may be an indication of a failure. That would also mean the torque converter is also contaminated with dirty / burned oil.
Some of the oil should be captured (200 ml) for inspection.
The transmission oil should have been noted before the exchange but a change in color would mean either internal damage or incorrect oil type. There can be oil contamination between the front differential and transmission.
This version may be the 4EAT automatic transmission assuming AWD.
Find a suitable manual here:
Brake pedal pulsation is odd, thinking about wheel bearings, wheel torque, worn / loose drive shafts.
Fault reading is the first test.

Attachments

• Older Subaru check connector.pdf
    19.1 KB · Views: 4

Ask a Question