2019 Outback Stereo / Nav Bubbles / Replacement

I have a 2019 Outback and have been waiting a year now for the head unit. SOA has been no help and keeps referring me back to the dealer but neither have an ETA on when the radio will be in if ever, they just keep saying it’s on back order. I’ve had to shut the radio to a black screen otherwise it just phantom touches everything and even calls people on my contact list. I filed a complaint with NHTSA. Emailed SOA multiple times. I think waiting a year is completely unacceptable. I’m so disappointed that Subaru is not standing by their product or even offering anything. I paid for the extended warranty, but I am losing faith of ever getting this replaced. I will not purchase another Subaru again in the future.
I'm also same problem happened, no action from dealer too. Let's fight together. Thanks. Charles

I also have this problem - started about 2 weeks ago. Bought the vehicle new in early 2019. Haven't checked with the dealer yet, nor contacted SOA. Hopefully something will be resoved with SOA andI won;t have to foot the full repair bill.

My 2019 outback started doing the same thing. Very disappointed that SOA has not called back after I was told that I was gonna receive a call from them within 3 business days. So frustrating.

My 2019 Outback has the same issue since 4 months ago. I took it back to Subaru dealership for a replacement and they told me it was on back order. Four months later, I checked last week, it was still on back order and no one knew how long they could get the replacement part, the LCD screen. The radio now jumps from station to station randomly and you can't even shut it down - it will automatically turns on and jump..... Very disappointed.

My 2019 Outback Premium Trim, just started doing this, It's practically unusable most of the time. Very frustrating. I just brought it in for the 4th windshield replacement, and dealing with battery issues which was replaced 6 months ago.

After seeing all these posts on here and on reddit, i'll be calling SOA.

2018 Subaru Outback and at 60,000 miles, radio has become possessed and doing what all of you mention exactly. Am being told by the dealership will be $1500to replace. Sign me up to the class action lawsuits...this is ridiculous!!

Same issues as everyone else on my 2019 Outback Premium. This is ridiculous. I miss regular buttons, this touch-screen technology sucks!

I also have the same problem. A couple of months ago I checked this forum and found 50 or so similar concerns. Last week I was at my dealer for service and raised this issue. He said that he had orders in for 9 replacement units on order and they were backordered.
I finally had my radio unit etc. replaced at the end of last August. I had the "long term" insurance so there was little cost but...shortly thereafter my battery crashed. AAA replaced my battery for $200...since then I have had problems with the battery losing charge...twice. The first time the AAA tech said I had left my lights on. I became very cautious about making sure they were off. Then, I checked the manual. When the keys are removed, the lights go off. A month later, I had to call them back to recharge the battery. Next...a visit to the dealer.

Has anyone replaced their screen with an after market screen? I talked with my Subaru dealership and even if I was willing to pay for the new screen (which I am not), they told me it would be replaced with a remanufactured screen. So not only am I getting the same crap screen put in, it’s not even a brand new one. I spoke with Best Buy and they install infotainment screens. I was wondering if anyone has gone this route and if it worked out.

We have a 2019 Outback but we have 120,000 miles on ours and out of all warranties. I have had this same problem as all above. My radio has the bubbles, and now starting to change channels on its own. My driver's seat is split on the door side seat and back rest. We are waiting on the class action to finalize for we can get the radio repaired. Subaru did settle a class action that included vehicles up to 2018 for the same radio issues. So, I don't know what would hold this one up.

Mine has the same bubbling issue. I was recently quoted $4500 to install and replace (dealership told me the top and bottom portion came in a pair and had to be replaced [$1800 for top, $1800 for bottom, $480 for install). I'm looking for an aftermarket replacement; buying the same thing again will likely cause the same problem. You guys have any suggestions on aftermarket parts?

I have a 2019 Outback. I love it, however the radio began changing channels and basically acting possessed. I can’t use my phone or any Bluetooth device at all. Subaru said it would cost me 2200.00 to replace. I am very disappointed with Subaru over this. Seems like it is a defect in the system. Probably will not buy another Subaru unfortunately.

Did Subaru ever do anything to replace the stereo at no cost to the owner? My wife’s 2019 Outback just started to randomly change channels, GPS opens and closes and redirects turns off and on by itself. Clearly a distraction and a safety issue.

After reading these post I reached out to Subaru America had a case opened for us, took our car into the dealer so they can verify the issue we have.

At the end of that we were told that the they would give us a $1000 goodwill credit towards a new stereo, problem is the stereo is over $2000. This is a crappy attempt to make this right. Just curious how others made out.

We have an identical issue on our 2019 Outback - “bubbles” behind screen, phantom touch, random people called when phone plugged in, incessant beeping, etc. We are 2+ months in since bringing to dealer and no replacement head unit in sight. SOA engaged but communicates vaguely and intermittently. Other than interest in class action lawsuit, my tangible question is - does anyone know of aftermarket head units compatible with the Outback that maintains things like backup camera? SOA strongly advises against but it is of course in their interest to do so, and I don’t get the sense they have any urgency to fix the issue.
Did you find any options for replacing head unit and keeping the backup camera?

Here is a recounting to the service manager at our local dealer where I purchased and always had the car serviced.
Good Luck!

Yes, I have a 2018 Outback 3.6R. Here goes:
Hello Mr. Atashi,

My name is Joe (Joseph) Sadove. I purchased my 2018 Subaru Outback 3.2R from Subaru Glendale. The car currently has about 20,000 miles.

Since my purchase, I have always had the car serviced by Glendale. I’m sure you are aware of the Headunit/Console/Infotainment problem these cars have. I have that problem and not another apparently as a result of the replacement of the unit.

I believe the first I reported the problem was June 2023. There followed subsequently 2 other times I brought the car in and attempts were made to repair the problem. With no success.

I learned on the https://www.subaruoutback.org/ site that there was a class action lawsuit settled in Maryland more than almost 2 years before. I came in and spoke with the service manager Ross and the Service Director Alvin. They sympathized and said that there might be a fix coming.

I was not told about the route of calling the Subaru Central Customer support or contacted and informed about it from anyone at Glendale. Instead, I found the instructions and the number on https://www.subaruoutback.org/. I then called Glendale services and they confirmed the process was correct. I then followed up through the Subaru Central Customer Support and began a bit of a winding path to finally getting an appointment for replacing the unit. It must be noted that in the run-up to the resolution, there was a back and forth on what the cost would be: First it was going to cost ~$3,000, then one service rep said he could get $1,000 off and I just said whatever, I need a car that has this function, if only to sell it.

When I finally got an appointment to replace the unit, no one asked for money. Great. Maybe there was a change in policy. But the https://www.subaruoutback.org/ blog said from the start there was no cost.

Since I have had the car back, I have brought it in twice to service because something is apparently draining the battery. I have now replaced the first old battery with a brand new one and once again it happened and I replaced the battery again with a new one and the problem persists after 2 new batteries. Mr. Ross Hoststetler has each time said they couldn’t find anything. The only description of the effort was that the car was left to sit first overnight and then over a weekend and each time they said the problem did not occur. I asked if anything was done or looked at and the answer was no.

I would ask you what you think I should do next. Two or three weeks ago I received a mailing from Subaru of America (oddly dated Feb 29, 2024) a “Warranty Extension for the Telematics Data Communication Module for certain 2016-2018MY Legacy, Outback, Impreze….etc. vehicles.”

Would you please give me a call back – ideally today – and provide me with any information regarding what my next steps should be.

Ask a Question