2019 Outback Stereo / Nav Bubbles / Replacement

Reaction score
Hello all,

The touchscreen on my car stereo started bubbling/delaminating after a couple very hot summer days in California. The radio now starts switching channels without command and goes crazy. Any similar experiences?

I’m thinking to switch out system but replacing with aftermarket seems like a headache with all the additional harnesses/connections for XM Radio, Steering Wheel Radio connection, USB connection, etc. Any online recommendations to switch to an aftermarket?

If you changed with a factory system did you buy through dealer.

Attachments

• 5FB7F04F-9C24-4FD5-88F1-7D73AE0EFAFD.jpeg
    5FB7F04F-9C24-4FD5-88F1-7D73AE0EFAFD.jpeg
    327.6 KB · Views: 359
My 19 Outback is doing basically the same thing. I'm seeing more and more reports of this problem and wonder if calling Subaru America might help. There's a class action for 2020+ but not the 2019. Very disappointing.

I also have the same problem. A couple of months ago I checked this forum and found 50 or so similar concerns. Last week I was at my dealer for service and raised this issue. He said that he had orders in for 9 replacement units on order and they were backordered.

I have the same problem - Navigation is worthless - jumping all around etc. Have the bubbles (signs of humidity condensation?). These units were built by Harmon-Karden according to my Service Rep at my Subaru Dealer. There are thousands of failed units in these units for 2019 and replacement units (many of them) are on backorder (apparently, the head units were not properly sealed and thus allowing humidity to mess up the electronics - made in China??) . The Service Manager seems to think these things will be replaced at not cost to the owner - the operative words here is "seems to think". So, there is no hard commitment thus far. Frankly, using WAZE instead of the Nav system provided by Subaru is MUCH better - though there is no large screen. But WAZE is seems to know what is going on at any given time, and will fit the route to avoid the traffic or other delays (construction). Lets you know where he cops and cameras are, etc.
At this point I am not excited with the quality of Subaru. Front seat split (the plastic like panel on the Drivers side just split). New seat cover even though the warranty was out. Then I took it in for an Oil Change and an Inspection. They found leaking oil from the right rear shock absorber. This is a famous scam to squirt oil on the shock so you can see the leak - so I asked to see it. Sure 'nuf it was legit. They changed out the shock (not like the shocks I replaced on my Chev wagon - these babies are spring over shocks - $680. Again the dealer is covering it.
Now it is in the shop for an unknown reason. The original battery died - and I am thinking that there is a malfunction in the car where after I turn off the car something is not shutting down and drawing the battery down. Lock it at the end of the day = only to come out in the morning and the car is totally dead. Unlocked the car using the key in my FOB. Then called AAA. The AAA guys declared battery was shot - maybe, but he was happy to sell me a new battery. But after installing the new battery, there would be only a few functions that would work. (Overhead cabin lights, the dash board lights and that's about it). Could not lock/unlock the doors except the drivers door using the key from the inside of the FOB.
I am really concerned about what this is going to cost me. I honestly think something is wrong with the Computer(s) $$$$
Like someone here has said. Will unload this thing as soon as it is fixed. And it only has 40,000 miles on it.

I am having the same issue. My navigation is not working, the screen has bubbled and the radio switches as I drive with the screen going blank. I plan on taking my vehicle back to the Subaru dealership. The last three times, the navigation was updated, then I was told the radio was updated and now I am having issues again. This is a safety issue as it is very distracting when you drive. I have turned my radio off to avoid the beeping and radio switching to no avail. The radio turns on and the screen comes on an off. I hope that Subaru assists me. My car is a 2018 and out of warranty and the issue has persisted there has to be a fix, otherwise, is this not covered under the lemon law? a safety issue for drivers? NHTSA complaint. has anyone else had this issue and had it remedied? I also have video of the radio malfunction and screen going blank.

Same issue and it’s driving me crazy! Heard that replacement cost ~$2,200. Absolutely crazy!
I will be following this thread and also researching class action lawsuits

We began having these issues about six months ago. Same thing: no navigation, jumping stations etc. We got roped into buying a 10-year warranty because the salesman made the case for how expensive it would be to replace something like the radio unit if it malfunctioned. Well, it's looking like that money was wasted since both the dealer and Subaru of America told us they literally have no idea when the parts will become available. The latter added, "I know this is not the answer you wanted to hear..." Thanks a lot Subaru.

I have been following up with my local dealer on replacement parts for the radio and touchscreen in my 2019 Outback for the past couple of months. I'd like to know if replacement parts will ever become available. I've been a Subaru owner since 1978 and this is the first time I've experienced anything like this. I too have been paying for extended care but, if there are no replacements parts available, the money is wasted. I guess, if Subaru gets a cut of the warranty extension money, that would amount to theft?

I have been following up with my local dealer on replacement parts for the radio and touchscreen in my 2019 Outback for the past couple of months. I'd like to know if replacement parts will ever become available. I've been a Subaru owner since 1978 and this is the first time I've experienced anything like this. I too have been paying for extended care but, if there are no replacements parts available, the money is wasted. I guess, if Subaru gets a cut of the warranty extension money, that would amount to theft?
Sure seems that way...

It wouldn't be considered theft. They didn't take your $ knowing full well they might not be able to deliver the parts. Get on board with that class action that's supposedly out there...otherwise, I guess you'll simply have to wait for the parts to arrive. I had a fender bender in May '21...took 7 months for a bumper and associated parts. Meanwhile, no car. Subaru (and other manufacturers) aren't doing this on purpose. Yes, super inconvenient, but here we are.

My 19 Outback is doing basically the same thing. I'm seeing more and more reports of this problem and wonder if calling Subaru America might help. There's a class action for 2020+ but not the 2019. Very disappointing.
Good idea. I also have a 2019
Had to completely disabled it because it was making random phone calls it was asking me to reset things it was just sleeping all over the screens and very distracting. I've been waiting 7 months for Subaru to get the part. I'm kind of afraid that they're just giving them to somebody else when they come in instead of calling me to tell me it's in

I have the same issue. The bubbles appeared on the touchscreen and then it started acting possessed. It started changing radio stations on its own, CarPlay would freeze up, and then the screen started to go black and would have Japanese characters come up on it. I've had an order in with Subaru for a new touch screen console since November and they are now saying the part will come in this summer, but I am not hopefully.

I have the same problem - Navigation is worthless - jumping all around etc. Have the bubbles (signs of humidity condensation?). These units were built by Harmon-Karden according to my Service Rep at my Subaru Dealer. There are thousands of failed units in these units for 2019 and replacement units (many of them) are on backorder (apparently, the head units were not properly sealed and thus allowing humidity to mess up the electronics - made in China??) . The Service Manager seems to think these things will be replaced at not cost to the owner - the operative words here is "seems to think". So, there is no hard commitment thus far. Frankly, using WAZE instead of the Nav system provided by Subaru is MUCH better - though there is no large screen. But WAZE is seems to know what is going on at any given time, and will fit the route to avoid the traffic or other delays (construction). Lets you know where he cops and cameras are, etc.
At this point I am not excited with the quality of Subaru. Front seat split (the plastic like panel on the Drivers side just split). New seat cover even though the warranty was out. Then I took it in for an Oil Change and an Inspection. They found leaking oil from the right rear shock absorber. This is a famous scam to squirt oil on the shock so you can see the leak - so I asked to see it. Sure 'nuf it was legit. They changed out the shock (not like the shocks I replaced on my Chev wagon - these babies are spring over shocks - $680. Again the dealer is covering it.
Now it is in the shop for an unknown reason. The original battery died - and I am thinking that there is a malfunction in the car where after I turn off the car something is not shutting down and drawing the battery down. Lock it at the end of the day = only to come out in the morning and the car is totally dead. Unlocked the car using the key in my FOB. Then called AAA. The AAA guys declared battery was shot - maybe, but he was happy to sell me a new battery. But after installing the new battery, there would be only a few functions that would work. (Overhead cabin lights, the dash board lights and that's about it). Could not lock/unlock the doors except the drivers door using the key from the inside of the FOB.
I am really concerned about what this is going to cost me. I honestly think something is wrong with the Computer(s) $$$$
Like someone here has said. Will unload this thing as soon as it is fixed. And it only has 40,000 miles on it.
So my 2019 has been in the shop since february bc i went through 3 batteries and it kept dying. Finally, they acknowledged the class action lawsuit and i had to get a case number in order for the dealership to diagnose it. It ended up being a part with the starlink system that doesn’t turn off when you turn the car off so it continuously drains the battery. That part has been backordered since then. My radio also has to be replaced which again is caused by an issue with starlink and that is also on back order with no date of eta. Luckily, i have extended warranty on it but i want to get rid of it and I can’t bc my resale values greatly depreciates (far more than the actual cost of a new radio) if i try to trade it before the radio is replaced.

Has anyone got a replacement unit recently? I am now being told I should get my replacement the 3rd week of July.

TLDR: I don't trust the Subaru dealerships (I've dealt with two) or Subaru of America. I'll never buy another Subaru as long as I live. I tell everyone that'll listen about my experience with my Outback.

I have a 2019 Outback Limited with 33,300 miles and I have the same problem with my head unit.

I took it in at ~27,000 miles, before the warranty ran out, and reported, again, the problems with my infotainment system, split leather driver seat, back and bottom (butt), misaligned driver door scraping paint and primer off to bare metal. The mechanic said everything was from abuse! The dealer wouldn't do anything. I called SOA and after checking with the dealer, they sighted abuse as well, however they gave me a credit for less than the cost of the one leather seat!

I'm on my third battery replaced under warranty, the first replacement was at around 3000 miles! My infotainment system has been reported every time I took it in for service and it was always stated, "cannot reproduce". The day I bought it, when I left the dealership, it was late and although the car was clean, I noted that all four tires had different pressures varying from 30# to 50#. I called my sales rep the next morning and reported this. I realized that the right front tire lost about 2# per day! I spoke with my sales rep several times about the air loss and eventually took it in at about 2700 miles. They found a screw in the front right tire and tried to say I got it after taking delivery of the car! My sales rep backed me up so they replaced the tire. Since I hadn't bought the "road hazard" plan when I bought the car, I bought it at that visit. When I bought my car, the Subaru finance manager had gone home by the time the deal was done. I had to go to their Audi dealership for their finance manager to close the deal. While this was happening, they were cleaning my car and inserting the screw in my tire (joking)!

My wife was in a horrific crash in 2021 that totaled her Honda CR-V, and after she was able to drive, cars were hard to find because of the supply chain problem caused by the pandemic. Again as with my case, the Subaru was the safest rated vehicle we could afford by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), 2021 Forester Touring. The Forester is a dream compared to my Outback. It troubles me that although all the parts for both cars are made in Japan, the Outback is assembled in Indiana and the Forester is assembled in Japan.

I understand that many people love Subaru's and have had great experiences with them. A close friend has two right now, a Legacy & Outback, and has had five before these two! He was a factor in me choosing my Outback.

I apologize for my rant.

We have a 2019 Subaru Legacy and had the same problem, the head unit was just replaced today, been waiting 7 months because it was on back order. Because we bought after out lease, luckily had an extended warranty, $100 copay, but yes I asked and it would have been a $2220 repair. Had the car 3 or 4 years when we noticed the bubbles start and then grow and make the entertainment console useless. I think this is BS and should be replaced by Subaru at no cost. Sorry everyone else is having the same problems. How do we know this head unit won’t crap out like the original? Will trade it in if we have to go through this again!

I had the same issues with the touchscreen in my 2019 Premium. I traded the car for a 2023 Limited.

Not too long after I purchased the 2019 (August 2019) the car wouldn't connect to my Android phone. The guys at the dealership tried to update the software, but they fried the head unit (did not pull my thumb drive out prior to attempting update). I had to wait several weeks for a national backorder on head units before I had a functioning infotainment system. Thank goodness the HVAC controls were separate in that generation of Outback.

Ask a Question