2019 Outback Stereo / Nav Bubbles / Replacement

I am having the same issue with the first new car I have ever purchased, a 2019 Outback. I took it to my local AutoNation Subaru and they said it would cost $1200 to fix and that I should contact Subaru America to see if they will pay for it. Subaru America said they will cover $750 out of "good will". I don't think a car that is 4 years old should need a new radio! I was old by AutoNation that Subaru was trying to cut costs and designed their own radio and I guess this is the result. This does not make me feel very good about Subaru. Is it worth the extra $500 to to Subaru to lose a once loyal customer?? That doesn't feel like good will to me.

So sad to hear this. Lost my infotainment center about 3 weeks ago. Just getting ready to call for appointment to fix. Darn

First time Subaru owner. 2019 Outback. I've babied the heck out of this car. Day before yesterday was a hot sunny day and delamination spots appeared on the display. Did my research and saw how widespread this issue is. Took it to the dealership yesterday and the service writer tried to pretend that he'd never seen this issue before. He was visibly lying and visibly embarrassed to be doing it. It was written all over his face from the instant I described the problem to him. Then the dumbarse slipped up and told me that he knows the part is on national backorder.......when he hadn't even looked the item up yet. Well obviously you know exactly what's going on if you know that much without even looking up the part yet. Called me up later and quoted me $1,060 for the part plus labor and that there is no coverage for this repair.

Now the system is freaking out as I drive down the road because the system thinks I am constantly pressing buttons. Even when I turn the radio off it keeps beeping. Sounds like it will be months before the part comes in.

I've already contacted Subaru of America and we will see if that goes anywhere. Two things are certain though........this will be my last Subaru if they don't make this right and the last time I buy anything from that chain of dealerships. I really don't appreciate the service writer insulting my intelligence and being dishonest.

Just an update: Subaru of America got back to me and they will not stand behind their defective display. This will certainly be the last Subaru product I buy.

I picked up a used 2019 Outback last week. A trusted mechanic gave it a good check-up and everything seemed to be in tip top shape. Little did I know…yeah, basically have the same problem as everyone else here. Bubbles, freezing, ghost buttons, etc. Have an appointment on Monday with the Subaru dealership that sold me the car. I’m hoping they’ll see me eye-to-eye in the matter.

Same problem here too. I have to pay at least $2000 to get a whole new unit in.
2018 Subarus had the same problem and there was a class action lawsuit. My Vin # was not included because it's technically a 2019, but I got it in 2018. I'm not happy that Subaru is not paying for this. Are there any lawyers on here? Does anyone want to look into joining or starting another lawsuit? It's not right that big business get's away with this. What about all the commercials that Subaru's all about the "LOVE"??

Been waiting for a month so far for replacement radio head unit on 2019 Subaru Outback. Same issue. Moisture bubbles and glitching radio unit. Dealer rep kept telling me “will be here in 2 days.” One month later, the parts manager finally made a call to ?? and told me “on back-order indefinitely.” Subaru of America covering $2000 of $2500 bill. But no part in foreseeable future.

Hello all,

The touchscreen on my car stereo started bubbling/delaminating after a couple very hot summer days in California. The radio now starts switching channels without command and goes crazy. Any similar experiences?

I’m thinking to switch out system but replacing with aftermarket seems like a headache with all the additional harnesses/connections for XM Radio, Steering Wheel Radio connection, USB connection, etc. Any online recommendations to switch to an aftermarket?

If you changed with a factory system did you buy through dealer.

I have a 2018 Outback and have been having this problem for over 6 months. Been back and forth with the dealer. They say they need to get console replacements from Japan but all this time still nothing. Just called again today. This should be reported to the NTSB. This should be a compulsory recall or some such thing.

This is beyond ridiculous and I see this started happening to people longer ago. HAS ANYONE HAD ANY SUCCESS GETTING THIS RESOLVED AND WHEN AND HOW LONG DID IT TAKE?

THANKS!

Has anyone got a replacement unit recently? I am now being told I should get my replacement the 3rd week of July.
I have a 2018 Outback and have been having this problem for over 6 months. Been back and forth with the dealer. They say they need to get console replacements from Japan but all this time still nothing. Just called again today. This should be reported to the NTSB. This should be a compulsory recall or some such thing.
This is beyond ridiculous and I see this started happening to people longer ago. HAS ANYONE HAD ANY SUCCESS GETTING THIS RESOLVED AND WHEN AND HOW LONG DID IT TAKE?
THANKS!

Good idea. I also have a 2019
Had to completely disabled it because it was making random phone calls it was asking me to reset things it was just sleeping all over the screens and very distracting. I've been waiting 7 months for Subaru to get the part. I'm kind of afraid that they're just giving them to somebody else when they come in instead of calling me to tell me it's in
I have a 2018 with the same problem. So the class action is only for the given year? I see people from 2017 to now with the problem. This should go to NTSB to force a recall.

I am having the same issue. My navigation is not working, the screen has bubbled and the radio switches as I drive with the screen going blank. I plan on taking my vehicle back to the Subaru dealership. The last three times, the navigation was updated, then I was told the radio was updated and now I am having issues again. This is a safety issue as it is very distracting when you drive. I have turned my radio off to avoid the beeping and radio switching to no avail. The radio turns on and the screen comes on an off. I hope that Subaru assists me. My car is a 2018 and out of warranty and the issue has persisted there has to be a fix, otherwise, is this not covered under the lemon law? a safety issue for drivers? NHTSA complaint. has anyone else had this issue and had it remedied? I also have video of the radio malfunction and screen going blank.

I’m having the same issue, 2019 outback that just went out of warranty and my headunit has all the same situations. Subaru of America offered me $750 to put towards the new factory head unit but that will still put me out $1100.00 (which is ridiculous that this garbage cost $1850 in the first place). I’m going to get a proven aftermarket head unit for a fraction of the cost and file a lemon law suit against my dealer.

I have the same issue on my 2018. Dealership said SOA claimed not covered by extended warranty due to outside influence. I called SOA a few days ago and am waiting for a reply. They should cover this!

Everything I have seen says that they SOA won't cover it. And as for how and when, forget about it.
I have been twice to the dealer. At first they said that they would charge me $3,500 to replace the unit. I reacted appalled, particularly since it was only a few months after the vehicle warranty ran out. They then said they could reduce it to $1,500. I waited about 6 weeks and went back since I had heard nothing further. They said no units had been shipped from Japan. They took the car and tried to do "something" to fix it and it lasted less than 10 minutes.
In theory, I am still waiting to hear. In practice, I am wondering what legal options there are (to the dealer or Subaru?) and pushing this out there. Apparently, Subaru actually knew in 2018 but there was no notification or recall... presumably because it wasn't "safety" related?
I will probably just show up this week at the dealer and see what they say. And will take some time this week to see if there's a way of getting NTSB involved.
Anything look like hope on your side?
Joe

Everything I have seen says that they SOA won't cover it. And as for how and when, forget about it.
I have been twice to the dealer. At first they said that they would charge me $3,500 to replace the unit. I reacted appalled, particularly since it was only a few months after the vehicle warranty ran out. They then said they could reduce it to $1,500. I waited about 6 weeks and went back since I had heard nothing further. They said no units had been shipped from Japan. They took the car and tried to do "something" to fix it and it lasted less than 10 minutes.
In theory, I am still waiting to hear. In practice, I am wondering what legal options there are (to the dealer or Subaru?) and pushing this out there. Apparently, Subaru actually knew in 2018 but there was no notification or recall... presumably because it wasn't "safety" related?
I will probably just show up this week at the dealer and see what they say. And will take some time this week to see if there's a way of getting NTSB involved.
Anything look like hope on your side?
Joe
I bought the extended warranty that is suppose to cover all electronics so I can only hope they cover it. I talked to SOA this week and have a case open. Will try and contact again next week since they never called me back this week :(

Did you just buy it? In other words, is this something possible to do now? But frankly I would be fine just paying for it if I could just get it. The problem is not paying for it since I said I would. The problem is if I get it in my lifetime.

I bought the car new and purchased the extended warranty then. Hopefully they will get this figured out. I hope they do!

We have an identical issue on our 2019 Outback - “bubbles” behind screen, phantom touch, random people called when phone plugged in, incessant beeping, etc. We are 2+ months in since bringing to dealer and no replacement head unit in sight. SOA engaged but communicates vaguely and intermittently. Other than interest in class action lawsuit, my tangible question is - does anyone know of aftermarket head units compatible with the Outback that maintains things like backup camera? SOA strongly advises against but it is of course in their interest to do so, and I don’t get the sense they have any urgency to fix the issue.

I have a 2019 Outback and have been waiting a year now for the head unit. SOA has been no help and keeps referring me back to the dealer but neither have an ETA on when the radio will be in if ever, they just keep saying it’s on back order. I’ve had to shut the radio to a black screen otherwise it just phantom touches everything and even calls people on my contact list. I filed a complaint with NHTSA. Emailed SOA multiple times. I think waiting a year is completely unacceptable. I’m so disappointed that Subaru is not standing by their product or even offering anything. I paid for the extended warranty, but I am losing faith of ever getting this replaced. I will not purchase another Subaru again in the future.

Hi everyone,
I have the same issue on my Suburu Outback 2019.
I visited several times but California Ontario Dealership said claimed not covered, no part exist, crazy service in America.
How can I solve this problem?
It's real safety problem.

Please give me an idea fast.
Thks

Ask a Question