2012 Legacy, Alternator/Battery Issue

Reaction score
2012 subaru legacy

Ok so had some issues with my car dying the last 2 weeks. Had autozone test it and they said the alternator was bad. Came home and tested it myself with my multimeter. Battery with Car off = ~12.5 volts. Car running = ~14.6 volts at start. After a few minutes of running ac, radio, all lights, voltage drops to 12.6 ish while running.

Figured this meant alternator was bad because it looks like the battery is not staying up to 14.6 volts. Ordered one and replaced it last evening.

Got out the volt meter and it appears nothing has changed. 12.6 volts with car off. When i start the car the battery is at about 14.6 volts. Turn the ac,radio, high beams and all lights on. Let it run for about 10-15 minutes and the battery is back down to about 12.6 volts.

What else should I look at? I guess it is always possible that the alternator that was shipped to me was bad, but is there something else I should check too? Maybe replace the battery as well?

Ask a Question