2012 Legacy

Reaction score
Hi,

2012 Sub Legacy...my family has owned a bunch of Subs.

The ride on this Legacy has gotten ridiculous. You can feel a leaf if you drive over it. God forbit you hit a manhole cover or anything like that because the car rattles. I had the front shocks replaced recently and it may have helped but If I didn't know the repair was done I probably couldn't tell..
I was going to have the rear done too but the guy talked me out of it. I guess because the car is older. I was waiting at the shop for hours and could not wait any longer. etc...

Does anyone have similar experience?
Bought used and just finished paying it off...It's not in great shape...has a few dings so selling is not a great option.
I *hate* driving it now.
thanks,
Chris

Sounds like you have something in the suspension loose. If you had the shocks replaced, did they replace with factory replacements? Id poke around and see if you find anything loose.

I have a 2012 Legg and the front end rattles something fierce , finally figured it out Front Brake Pads are loose in the saddle and just vibrate on rough roads.. to pin point i just lightly put my foot on the brake pedal when going over rough area and rattle goes away. supposedly you can put brake grease in the grooves and it will go away for some time,but always returns.. Hope this Helps

I have a 2012 Legg and the front end rattles something fierce , finally figured it out Front Brake Pads are loose in the saddle and just vibrate on rough roads.. to pin point i just lightly put my foot on the brake pedal when going over rough area and rattle goes away. supposedly you can put brake grease in the grooves and it will go away for some time,but always returns.. Hope this Helps

There is supposed to be a little metal tab that goes on before the pads to hold them in place on the caliber carrier. I wonder if they are missing.

Yep been working on cars and trucks all my life, never saw something like this, just rattles away...

Here's the TSB

Attachments

• IMG_20220204_110157.jpg
    IMG_20220204_110157.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 63
It so annoying. I HATE driving this car now. You feel every little thing. Seam in the asphalt...TWIG!
getting pads done today and I made him aware.
It's probably a rear shock or something.

*there is nothing like a good, honest mechanic!

I'm in 22030 Fairfax, VA if anyone knows one.

For the record, I had my brakes done. Needed pads on all 4 wheels. It's been since 2018 since I've had a brake job but (obviousl?) I don't drive much. Work from home ...
Guy was a mobile break guy, solo operation, been in business for 35 years so he talked to me about my car etc...
He said a caliper piston (?) was not lubed or had un-lubed over time and that might have been the problem.
All I know is THANK GOD it's quiet now. Drove 150 miles this weekend and some of it over bad roads and it was quiet.
Also found out that Mechant's / National Tire broke off a lug when they rotated my tires. Appointment with manager to see what they'll do about it.
thanks for the help sub fam.

UPDATE---- Replaced both left and right front brake caliper Brackets, RATTLE is gone...
Purchased from Rock auto, well worth the little money i paid for them...Tried to contact someone at rock auto to see if they were the new style with the defects corrected.. No way to contact!! Asked around at local Brand name auto stores and no one could tell me if theirs were the updated ones either, they were ALL confusedo_O. Anyway Problem Fixed and no more RATTLE....

The reason why the brake caliper brackets "rattled" with the brake pads in place is because the original pads may have rusted in place. Many people take a file to clean the rust and remove too much material where the brake pads reside. Now the opening is wider than normal.
In the shop, a torch is used lightly to allow the "rust" to "pop off". A steel brush is used to clean.
The stainless slides are placed with a synthetic grease applied.

HMMM< guess you didn't look up above in my post that describes the TSB for the original problem with the Original Stock manufactured Caliper brackets......

HMMM< guess you didn't look up above in my post that describes the TSB for the original problem with the Original Stock manufactured Caliper brackets......

I am not a mechanic... OP here. So my car was blissfully quiet since December but it has started rattling again.
Is replacing the calipers expensive? Should it be done when other brake work is being done?

Like I said above, the brakeman said there were clips that were loose.
Are the calipers a warranty issue by chance?

I didn't replace the Calipers, just the Caliper mounting brackets, the clips do get loose but by doing the brake job and putting the caliper slider grease in will quiet them down for a while.. but the rattle will always come back unless the brackets are replaced. simple job, no brake lines to disconnect. JUST>Wheel lugs, caliper bolts, Caliper bracket mounting bolts, then put it back together..

Boss: It's simple. Demo the old window, insulate, install window, level, flashing, trim it. Simple
Me: It's not.
Me: get image of existing HD, remove old HD, install new, activate, reimage new
Boss: OK STOP. i get it.

That's what I think of mechanic work....especially my brakes.
Thanks for the clarification.

Ask a Question