2012 Legacy Electronic Parking Brake Issue

Reaction score
Hi All, new to the forum. If this thread already exists- don't hate me, please point me to where it's covered :)

2012 Legacy 2.5i 90kmiles

I just changed over from my winter tires/steelies to summer wheels/tires. Used the ebrake when each wheel was lifted. After the last wheel, driver rear, I set the car down and attempted to disengage the Electronic Parking Brake.

The dashboard brake light (B) began flashing at me and won't stop. After a bit of EPB button pushing, the engaging/disengaging/solenoid clicking noises, the button light is off. The dash light continues to flash. When the EPB button is pushed, the noises occur for about 30s as it attempts unsuccessfully to engage.

Car in N will easily roll, and with one or both rear wheels up in the air on jack stands, in N or D they spin but feels like there is some friction. If it were my truck's brake drum, i would adjust it to have less contact and spin more freely. Is that possible with the EPB on the brake pads? Should take the caliper off and try to depress the piston in, or just use a pry/flathead to leverage it without taking it off?

Is this failure to engage/disengage and consistent with what happens to others that have taken the car into the stealership for the Electronic Parking Brake Assembly Warranty?

I have tried lifting each rear wheel alone & both at the same time to try and set the parking brake, but it doesn't engage, and you can hear the actuator/solenoid clicking whilst attempting to engage/disengage.

After disconnecting the battery for 15mins, and re-attaching, the (B) dash light continues to flash. I plugged my OBD reader in, no codes, cleared anyways. Still flashing on the dash, EPB button not illuminated.

I've also tried this YouTube Video to release it with the long allen key in the hole between passenger tires. Still no luck.

Thanks for reading, and hope someone can shed some light on this for me.

Cheers!

I removed the 7.5a fuse for the EPB / Hill Holder from location 19, on the left of the steering wheel fuse box....Still clicking when vehicle started and moving. (B) light still blinking.

Could this be anything else?

The Electronic Parking Brake Assembly Warranty on the 2010 to 2014 Subaru Legacy with CVT or 5AT Transmissions has been extended to 15 Years and Unlimited Kilometers in Canada. I assume there would be similar coverage in other regions. Contact a Dealer to see if you can get the problem corrected under warranty.

Ask a Question