2012 2.5i Overheating & Air in Coolant System Continues

Reaction score
I have a 2012 2.5i Limited with 154k miles, head gasket replaced 25k miles ago & a lot of new coolant system parts installed 2 months ago but still overheats and getting air in the coolant system. Looking to get some feedback on pinpointing the issue & what to do with the car.

Current Details & Status:

• Thermostat - New Aisin installed 2 months ago
  • Radiator, Hoses, Cap - New installed 2 months ago and not leaking
  • Super coolant & coolant conditioner installed 2 months ago
  • Combustion and pressurized coolant system test 2 months ago - Passed inspection by local auto shop
  • Head Gasket Kit & Machining - FelPro MLS kit installed 25k miles ago by local auto shop
  • Aisin Timing Belt Kit - Installed 50k miles ago
Observations:
  • AC Evaporator Hose - No coolant found in the water
  • Overheating - Happened about 6 times the past 4 months
  • Both Radiator fans kick on with AC and automatically when motor gets warm
  • Both Radiator hoses get hot indicating that coolant is flowing through the motor
  • Gurgling water sound from dash started right before head gasket was replaced and has persisted for 2.5 years now
  • Burped car and bubbles were still coming up into the funnel after 30 minutes
  • Ran car idle for 30 minutes, did not overheat or leak coolant
  • Drove car for 30 minutes, did not overheat or leak coolant, but coolant level went down a few ounces
Recommendations?
  • Have a Subaru dealership run some tests to see if it is the head gasket since maybe the other shop that replaced the head gasket did not do a thorough test or just don't want to replace it again as it still is under warranty for 3 more months
  • Possible clog in the heater core preventing good coolant flow?
  • Cylinder head is cracked? Motor overheated 6 times the past 4 months
    • Auto shop wasn't 100% sure but quoted me on installing new heads & head gasket kit
    • Auto shop said that it was possible that the machine shop did not catch that a head was cracked for head gasket repair performed 2.5 years ago
At this point, we are looking at used 2020-2022 Outback Touring XTs but not sure if any dealership will take the 2012 as a Trade-In or if I can sell it As-Is

Ask a Question