2012 Legacy Rattle after changing front rotors and pads.

sam

Reaction score
The rattle is on the right side. The lower arms and ball joints are replaced and so are the soy bar links. After doing the work the noise seemed to have been fixed but after driving it for a few minutes it returned. just driving over a light raised bump on the road does it. Not sure where to look unless it might me a part of the body that has rusted through. Thanks for any thoughts in figuring this out!!

Did this happen immediately after changing the brakes? If so, did you change the hardware on the calipers when you did the job? Check the brake shoes, they should float freely in the caliper but not rattle. Those clips are there to ensure they work properly.

Did this happen immediately after changing the brakes? If so, did you change the hardware on the calipers when you did the job? Check the brake shoes, they should float freely in the caliper but not rattle. Those clips are there to ensure they work properly.
Thank you for responding to my question.
All of the hardware that is required has been replaced. The slide pins are replaced and lubed with GE silicon grease as the rubber boots aren’t neoprene as they go bad lubed with regular grease. The rotors and pads are the Powerstop system and I’ve always thought that the better one to get besides Brembo.

Thanks!!

It's the calipers. Look under my name. I *think* I started a thread about it; if not I don't have many posts. .
When I had my brakes changed the mechanic did something to tighten them *lube maybe) and the problem went away for 6 months. It's back now and extremely annoying.
In that thread is the solution. It might just be to change the calipers....but I don't know...see the thread.

It's the calipers. Look under my name. I *think* I started a thread about it; if not I don't have many posts. .
When I had my brakes changed the mechanic did something to tighten them *lube maybe) and the problem went away for 6 months. It's back now and extremely annoying.
In that thread is the solution. It might just be to change the calipers....but I don't know...see the thread.

So a little over a month later and the knocking sound is still there. I will state that it goes away immediately when lightly putting pressure on the brake pedal. The caliper pins are installed correctly, the upper strut bearing is tight. It almost sounds like the subframe is having issues but it’s ok. So still at a loss as all was ok until replacing pads and rotors and all hardware. Thanks!!

So a little over a month later and the knocking sound is still there. I will state that it goes away immediately when lightly putting pressure on the brake pedal. The caliper pins are installed correctly, the upper strut bearing is tight. It almost sounds like the subframe is having issues but it’s ok. So still at a loss as all was ok until replacing pads and rotors and all hardware. Thanks!!
Any correct answers to this are greatly appreciated!!

Any correct answers to this are greatly appreciated!!

Find the thread under my name. There is a service bulletin
And 6 months after changing out brakes and rotors (maybe just pads) the noise is ridiculous.

Ask a Question