'12 Impreza Sport Limited - Should I invest in these repairs?

Reaction score
Hi,

I replaced the valve body on my '12 Sport Limited Impreza (136,500 miles) only to find out that the part I purchased was defective. Shame on me, I don't need any comments on that.

So I took the car to the dealership. In addition to needing another new valve body, the following repairs "require immediate attention", according to them:

Axle Hub & Bearing (Damage / Leaks / Boots):
Replace Wheel Bearing Left Front - $310.84

Axle Hub & Bearing (Damage / Leaks / Boots):
Needs left front knuckle, wheel bearing, axle nut 2 caliber bracket bolts - $929.08

Suspension (Damage / Leaks / Worn Components):
Replace Drivers Lower Ball Joint - 252.94

Those in addition to an alignment ($149.95) and the $1,766.55 estimate for the valve body, fees, and taxes add up to $3729.91.

I got another quote from a different Subaru dealer of 1K for the valve body. I am asking this dealer why their estimate is so much higher. If they match, or if I just get it done at the 1st dealer, the total would go down to $2,963.36.

I've checked a couple of different places, and my car's worth is somewhere around the middle of those 2 values, ballparking.

Is this worth it to you? Are any of these repairs ones that I can possibly save hundreds at a regular garage? Is the "stealership" tag living up to its name? To be fair, I saw a lot of this coming, as I can hear and feel issues in the locations they are describing.

Thank you.

Ask a Question