Turbo spins freely by hand but not at idle ?

Reaction score
Hello, recently my 04 wrx stopped boosting, so I took off the inlet and tried spinning the compressor wheel, it spins freely by hand a spins plenty after letting off with my finger, then checked for shaft play forward and back nothing, up and down very minimal, also had to install a new inlet, due to my old one tearing up when trying to reinstall on the turbo snout. after I installed the inlet and put everything back on I started it up and it looks like it tried spinning off the bat but then stopped? I made sure to crank the motor a few times with my key so it was lubed up before starting.
I recorded the startup here - startup video
cant upload videos so i just put it on a streamable link
and the turbo is a synergy td06H-20g-8

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
With the outlet (pressure side) disconnected, run the engine, it should rotate.
If it does rotate, no oil should "spit" out of it.
If it does not rotate and the wastegate is operating, then the turbo is damaged.
Check the oil supply line for a restriction / filter at the bango bolt.

If it does not rotate and the wastegate is operating, then the turbo is damaged.
okay, will do, i did try running the motor with the outlet disconnected and it did not spin freely, it rotated a little but but hardly any (maybe 2 rotations?), guess I will check the supply line and see if that banjo bolt is clogged or something. u don't think it could be bearings? it is a journal bearing turbo by the way.

okay, will do, i did try running the motor with the outlet disconnected and it did not spin freely, it rotated a little but but hardly any (maybe 2 rotations?), guess I will check the supply line and see if that banjo bolt is clogged or something. u don't think it could be bearings? it is a journal bearing turbo by the way.
also if the case is that the banjo bolt did get clogged or carbonized somehow, and isn't leaking, is my turbo trash now or will I just have to replace the bearings?

i checked the banjo bolt; there was no blockage, and the filter has already been removed. Also, if my turbo was not spinning would my boost gauge react (inHG).

Ask a Question