Transmission stutter

Reaction score
On my 2010 legacy there is a stutter when accelerating hard, particularly from a stop or slow speed, and it's especially bad when turning left and accelerating. Once I'm above 35 mph or so, it does it much less frequently or at least much more subtly. Here's the background to what's been done thus far.

The car was throwing a p2764 (lockup solenoid) and p0700. I replaced the transmission valve body following a video from MrSubaru1387. Except I don't have access to SSM so I had a dealer do the relearn. After replacing the valve body and refilling the fluid it seemed everything was great - error codes cleared, car seemed to drive ok. But after testing it more thoroughly it was apparent it had this stutter problem. I was hoping the relearn would fix it but it made no difference. Because it is so much worse when turning left, I thought there might be some issue with the differential, so I replaced the gear oil on both front and rear diff, but didn't do any troubleshooting beyond that, other than driving a bunch of figure eights to see if I could feel any other issues or torque binding with the differential and at slow speeds without hard acceleration, those figure eights all went very smoothly. Prior to the valve body replacement the car also had a flat tire and was driven on the spare, but only a few miles and at speeds 40 mph or less, pretty much enough to get it to a shop for new tires, as it was time to replace them all anyway.

Incidentally I also replaced all the spark plugs and air filter just as maintenance items but I don't think that would play into this.

I don't "think" the car was stuttering before the valve body replacement (and after the new tires) but my daughter was driving the car before, and honestly I didn't drive it thoroughly myself before replacing the valve body. I did drive it and I don't recall it stuttering, but I wasn't specifically looking for it.

I did not specifically test the solenoids on the new valve body, but other than the stutter on hard acceleration, everything seems fine and there are currently no error codes.

I'm worried the transmission and/or differential is just shot and can't adjust smoothly under torque and would require replacement of either, an expense I'm not really to spend on this 13 year old car. Anything else I can try?

Ask a Question