Tpms only reset by dealer?

Reaction score
According to my manual, the TPMS can only be reset by the dealer on our 2020 Forester. Is this correct? If so, what was Subaru thinking when they did this. It’s not like Subaru dealers are in every town like Ford or GM. Nearest dealer is two hours away. Is there anyway to reset the TPMS yourself?

Wife's Outback wouldn't clear tpms idiot light after switching to summer tires at several tire places in town (Walmart automotive and Les Schwab Tire). After getting a appt. at dealer 2 weeks from now she couldn't take it anymore and we drove 60m into Portland, Oregon to the original tire shop we got the snow tires/rims from. Guy said he hadn't been defeated yet on 2017? and older Outbacks and after scanning 4-tires/resetting the computer tpms on running car he was done, still batting 1000. Took 5min. Guess we go to them for swapping tires both ways and no headaches. They are in back lot of Subaru dealership so do LOTS of Subaru's. Stick with the Pro's. BTW one of the tpms sensors before winter failed when switching and they replaced it free as still on 1-yr warranty. If they can handle my full-size Ram 3/4ton truck I'll be getting new tires from them this Fall.

Ask a Question