Towing without trailer brakes

Reaction score
I have a question, as I am considering buying a 5×10 teardrop camper, and many-if not most-- exceed 1000 pounds, and most do not have trailer brakes...

Why do ALL models of Subarus require trailer brakes on trailers exceeding 1000 lbs., yet max towing capacity varies for each model, ranging from 1500 to 5000 lbs.? This 1000 lb. limit is the same, regardless of limit, regardless of engine size.

Most all teardrop camper manufacturers aren't aware of this brake requirement, and they all say my Outback can tow without trailer brakes with no problems. General rule of thumb, per research, seems to be brakes needed if trailer exceeds 3000 pounds OR if trailer weight exceeds 40% of towing vehicle's gross weight.

Thoughts, please? Thanks

I'm not a mechanic and may be way off mark... But I believe that it may have to do with the ABS system and the brake system design specs. Subarus are known to be stout and sturdy under regular use. However, until recently,they had not been designed as beasts of burden. With this in mind, trailer brake systems relieve the stress on the ABS sytem and increase braking stability.

Ask a Question