Subaru Forester Wilderness w/ Roof Top Tent, Roof Rail and Side Panel Deformation

Reaction score
Throwing out this question to anyone else that may/may-not experience what I'm having happen here - also, applies to any Subaru owner out there with a roof top tent mounted to the roof rail, their cross bars and getting side panel deformation at the base of the roof rails.

I just bought a 2023 Subaru Forester Wilderness back in April. I'm at about 4k miles right now and have ran about 300 or so miles with Thule WingBar Evo crossbars, VanUltra quick release mounts and a Roofnest Meadowlark (never actually slept in yet).
Now I know that everything that I have mounted is well within the parameters of what the Wilderness model advertises with the dynamic load being 220 dynamic and 800 static. Meadowlark est. 90 lbs, crossbars and hardware no more than 20-25 lbs at absolute max.
In the 300 miles driving with the roof top tent attached, I've noticed small ripples/dents at the very back of each roof rail (both sides). Those dents are not on the roof, but on the sides above around where the door is but more along the bottom edge of the rails. Anyone else experience this? I know this is from the weight of the roof top tent as I've been noticing it getting worse the more I drive with it on. Needless to say I will be taking the RTT off after I have the dealership take a look as well.

Let me know what you guys think?

In addition - rocking a RTT like the Meadowlark knocked my fuel consumption down anywhere from 5-7mpg less than without it depending on your speed. I was averaging anywhere between 17-20mpg at 70mph on pretty much flat Wisconsin highways. Also, even though this model RTT is the lightest model in Roofnest's lineup @ 90 lbs, it's a beast to put on and take off.
I'd highly recommend getting locking quick release hardware from someone like VanUltra ($400+) since the OEM stainless hardware is extremely prone to galling. Making sure you have either a RTT lift or at least 2+ stronger/taller individuals. Also, use anti-seize on the hardware and a place a blanket on the roof to prevent damage when installing and what-have-you (learn from my mistakes).
Just in case anyone is looking into getting an RTT for your Forester or Wilderness models.

Ask a Question