Stumped! 2011 Subaru Forester 2.0 x Power Steering

Reaction score
Hey guys. New here and just bought a 2011 Subaru Forester 2.0 x. That’s right. It’s a 2.0 liter and not sure of this at all. It’s a car we bought for my wife’s mom in the Philippines. Asia is weird with their specs and this is one of them. The problem is the steering is soft and mushy and makes a sound(grinding) and as I turn side to side while vehicle is stopped. When moving its there but not as much. One time I was backing it up to park and the power steering went completely gone. I thought maybe the fluid was low. It has an electronic steering and no fluid reservoir! A guy on YT with a 2.5 insists it has one. I couldn’t find one. Any help would be appreciated. Oh, the grinding I believe could be from low tire pressure to CV or wheel bearings. Even mechanics here don’t want to touch it. They’re so used with simple Toyotas and little Hondas.

2.0L what, Petrol or diesel?
In what country is the vehicle driven in? Is it a direct import to the Philippines?
The emissions label attached to the hood will indicate what the correct engine model is.
Is there a Subaru dealer you can contact? Is there an owners manual within the vehicle?
Noises on turns can be tested on a hoist, wheels off the ground and rotating the steering wheel.
You mention YT, is that youtube? If so, youtube "mechanics" are in it for the content and generated dollars.

Here is one example if this is even close to the description:
https://www.carguide.ph/2012/01/review-2012-subaru-forester-20-xs.html
https://www.japotoparts.com/en/part/Subaru/Forester/Electric+power+steering+unit/17026985

Last edited:
2.0L what, Petrol or diesel?
In what country is the vehicle driven in? Is it a direct import to the Philippines?
The emissions label attached to the hood will indicate what the correct engine model is.
Is there a Subaru dealer you can contact? Is there an owners manual within the vehicle?
Noises on turns can be tested on a hoist, wheels off the ground and rotating the steering wheel.
You mention YT, is that youtube? If so, youtube "mechanics" are in it for the content and generated dollars.

Here is one example if this is even close to the description:
https://www.carguide.ph/2012/01/review-2012-subaru-forester-20-xs.html
https://www.japotoparts.com/en/part/Subaru/Forester/Electric+power+steering+unit/17026985
Car is in the Philippines and it’s a 2011 Subie Forester 2.0 xs model. YouTube guy told me there’s no way it doesn’t have a PS fluid reservoir. I told him it’s electronic just like my 2012 Honda Civic LX Coupe 1.8l US model with electronic power steering, no fluid reservoir. Dealer wants an appointment which I have no time for. Calling them didn’t help either, just kept ringing.

Check these items:
Tie rod ends for wear and noise
Upper strut mounts for wear or noise
Ball joints and control arm bushings for wear and noise.
All CV shafts and drive axle flanges for bearing noise. Check for correct torque on axle nuts and wheels.
If all proves OK, inspect the electric steering rack for binding / noise at the motor and outboard rack ends.

Check these items:
Tie rod ends for wear and noise
Upper strut mounts for wear or noise
Ball joints and control arm bushings for wear and noise.
All CV shafts and drive axle flanges for bearing noise. Check for correct torque on axle nuts and wheels.
If all proves OK, inspect the electric steering rack for binding / noise at the motor and outboard rack ends.
Thanks. I’m guessing one of those would be the culprit. I just need to find a mechanic that will do all of that. I only have two days left before I leave. I can check some of it before I go. Thanks.

Ask a Question