Soon to be new to Subaru (Forester vs Outback for road trip)

Reaction score
Hello All. I am new to Subaru and I am trying to decide between a 2021 Forester Sport (with Harmon Kardon option) and 2019 Outback Limited with 12K miles. I'm planning to do a cross country road trip (10,000+ miles) and some off-roading in the near future. I've test driven both vehicles and have things I like about each one. They both overall have the same options. I picked that particular Outback because it's the best I can afford.

My biggest concern is drive comfort for such a long trip. On the one hand the outback seems to be more a comfortable ride. However, on the other hand the Forester seems so bright and roomy with all of the windows and I was thinking it would be nice to have those windows while driving through the mountains. Other not as important issues are that the Sport has the dual X-mode and also that one is new and the other used.

What do you think? What's your experience with long trips? Which car do you feel is more comfortable? Do the large widows make a road trip better? Are there any significant differences between the two that I'm not considering.

Ask a Question