Smoke of death from Left Timing cover area when warm

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am putting this post since I felt so hopeless and out of ideas even though I am mechanic by profession. Guess brainstorming with you guys will cross a few T’s before I go any deeper wasting time.
I own a 2004 wrx with avcs. Motor just rebuilt due to worn exhaust valves. Forged internals but rest is stock. No modifications to any other components and stock ecu map.
So, Put everything back together and ol’mate is smoking with the smell of death when warm. Can see smoke escaping from lower timing cover on idle. No oil drips. Just smoke when hot.
Inspected passenger exhaust cam seal (prime suspect) and it was actually leaking from the inner lip. Oil whip splash around timing belt and the covers. But visible oil strain from cam seal.
Couldnt see any scoring on cam.
Replaced the dog twice (lip lubricated, outer seal surface dry and seal pressed to flush with bevel).
Would this be a poorly sealed front cam retainer or pcv issue?
Any ideas would be great. Sorry its a long explanation but I want to give all the info I can think of.
Thanks in advance
Savinda

Ask a Question