New Crosstrek with Brown Smoke coming from exhaust and burning rubber smell

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first Subaru and after only 50 miles I noticed brown smoke coming from the exhaust and a tint of burning rubber smell. Subaru is telling me its an EXTERNAL "new car smell". I've never experienced this with any other new car I've ever had. anyone else deal with this new car "breaking in" as Subaru also stated period issues? TIA!

"new car smell" and wonder is it passes an emissions test?
Speak with the Service Manager with that concern.
You should take a video of that exiting smoke and save or post it.
I'll bet a sales person made that mention? I would definitely record that answer.
Check your oil level as well, if possible, get a fuel sample.

I do have videos. thanks for reminding to keep the responses since everything is via text now! oy! I do see now its white smoke. while parked at work (under a close bank teller lane) I did notice the asphalt was darker and it made it look like the smoke was brown. I'm keeping an eye on it. thank you!

Depends on weather. A cold engine start up may produce a richer mixture for start up (looks like black smoke) for a few seconds.
White smoke is attributed to condensation.
It is quite a common issue in winter time and we "see" the condensation.
The "gasses" caused by condensation will disappear within a few seconds or remain due to outside temperatures.

If the white smoke does not disappear and continues to flow around the vehicle, the engine can be "burning" the coolant because of an internal leak. Generally, there is a smell attributed to the white smoke.

Depends on weather. A cold engine start up may produce a richer mixture for start up (looks like black smoke) for a few seconds.
White smoke is attributed to condensation.
It is quite a common issue in winter time and we "see" the condensation.
The "gasses" caused by condensation will disappear within a few seconds or remain due to outside temperatures.

If the white smoke does not disappear and continues to flow around the vehicle, the engine can be "burning" the coolant because of an internal leak. Generally, there is a smell attributed to the white smoke.

thank you! it does seem to stop, as my friend was driving behind me after I started and drove off after a few mins, told me see didnt see anything. its just very odd thats its SO much when idling/warming up. never had this on any other make: Honda/Pontiac/Lexus. Im keeping an eye on it.

This happened to me just the other day. Ambient temperature right at freezing, humidity @ 100% when I shut the engine off the previous evening. I could not use the backup camera due to the steam from the tail pipe. Also, if it is cold enough you should be able to observe the steam from the water vapor made from the burning fuel even after the engine has warmed up.

Ask a Question