re RE debriefing of failed 1001 legacy purchase

U

uandeye

Brad, I have walked in with printouts from KBB.com for each vehicle
(the trade-in AND the new/used vehicle). Initially I didn't show them
to anyone until the runaround process began, but that's pretty good
ammo for you, if you really want the other car.

Also, while you were in the glove box, did you think to copy down the
previous owner's name and address, and/or any of the stations or
dealers the car had been serviced by? I think I might just call and see
what kind of work had been done previously. Sneaky, but perfectly
legal, especially if they left that info in the vehicle.

-Karen in AZ-
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<,

good point karen.

advice from a guy who's beein buying cars for over 50 years.

dealers, whether subaru or any other are almost all unscrupulous. that is one of the reasons for the collapse of the american car mfg market. i doubt that there are many people who own cars who have not had similar experiences. most of us have had many like that. i'll spare you my own war stories and just point out to you that the object that every car salesman has is not in pleasing the customer but in squeezing every last ounce of juices out of him. you don't bet into another man's game and we, as customers, are at their mercy and they are merciless. subaru toyota, other foreign mfg's, are no exception. the customers who say otherwise don't know better and say thank you when they just got hosed.

you failed to mention who the dealership was. that indicates that you are, possible, a bit trusting, timid or shy or trying to be fair. well, sorry, atari -- THE MINUTE YOU WALKED THROUGH THE DOOR AND MADE ONE MOTION THE SALES DEPARTMENT KNEW THAT. it used to be, before internet, that we were all held hostage by lack of information. then, after internet, there was information on sticker vs. invoice prices. HOWEVER, the car people saw that pretty quickly. First they produced phoney factory invoices or switched 'em. i was sucker to that once to the order of about $2,000.00 for a toyota truck. When Toyota settled with the USA govt (United Stealers of America) I was offered a $150.00 credit if I purchased about $300.00 worth of service. That was the deal that Toyota made for us. Boy you know they laughed all the way to the bank.

Anyhow, now the car people have souped up the way they account for their profits and prices and no longer depend upon invoice priceing for their profits have created several after-purchase programs to create an even healthier profit for the dealer. And what would the dealers' answer to your delema be? He'd say that every customer that comes in there is looking to get over on him. Bottom line -- if you buy a car from a dealer he's gonna eat you alive on both unscrupulous financing and/or improper pricing and data. The "lo balling" that is being referred to here is so common that it would be surprising not to see it.

advice from a loser:
1. never buy a car from a dealer if you can help it.
2. know the value of the vehlicle down to the penny and never pay a cent more no matter how much you want for his cute piece of junk. he'll still make a huge amount on you or dump a load on you.
3. NEVER financeor trade a car through a dealer. you WILL lose. it'll look rosey and you'll feel the pain forever.
4. know that, if you pay the factory invoice price (or the wholesale value of the used vehicle) he is still making a large profit on you.
5. never make a deal the same day that you go into his lair. always walk away from the deal no matter how good it sounds. he will call you and offer you more and more deals until you buy. now where did that difference come from?

i have dealt with many subaru dealers and had two subarus. i love the car but doubt i would buy another one, or a honda. here are the goods and the bads.

Jacksonville, fla (service) ---- the best.
Reedman-Toll, Langhorne, PA -- you better be sharp cause they are sharper. also, poor service.

Boca Ratan, FLA -- they are the worst. they lied, cajoled, and were rude and caused me a great amount of pain (service) and caused me to write a letter to subaru which got me back a phone call to the wrong number and then dropped. their problem, not mine.

Ft. Myers, FL -- very bad by reputation. lots of war stories but not personally witnessed.

Coleman Olds, Trenton, NJ....OKAY.

also, a large regional parts supplier in the philadelphia area of PA (?). according to my mechanic they kept on lying to him about a part that was "in the truck". after over a week i had to take back my NEW car, unrepaired. it is still broken (impact damage not covered under the warranty).

email or nasties? (e-mail address removed)

--------------= Posted using GrabIt =----------------
------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =---------
-= Get GrabIt for free from http://www.shemes.com/ =-

Ask a Question