ordered a new crosstrek, i was wondering about aftermarket audio

Reaction score
of course im not going to make any changes immediately but years later...... im just wondering is the idea of aftermarket audiophile equipment dead in newer cars? for example i have a summer car "a toy" 2003 bonneville SSEi. i have 2-6.5" kicker CS front door, 2-5.25" kicker cs rear door, alpine type R 6x9" rear deck, a 5 channel amplifier, a 10" skar subwoofer, and a pioneer headunit. nothing audio on that car is remotely factory. i ran new wires to all door locations as well. i was wondering, i plan on keeping my new car as long as i can. if at some point the factory info-taiment center fails can you still replace the factory gear with aftermarket offerings? one of the things i really dont like about new cars is the proprietary audio, gone is the din style space in the dashboard allowing you to install whatever your hear desires.

if aftermarket audio a dying art? my aftermarket setup in my "toy" way outperforms anything offered in any factory system. also, i tried to order the rockford fozgate package but apparently it is unavailable and out of stock presently. my car will be a crosstrek premium with manual transmission.

Your aftermarket audio may interfere with the factory controls and function of the "radio". You might upgrade speakers or the like, but it could be an involved and expensive experiment. It controls a lot of features and functions.
Cars these days don't just have a "Radio", they have an integrated control center. The days of old may be obsolete to an extent unless you just start from scratch and use a parallel system.

i guess ill just keep my summer cruiser if i want to drive around something with an audiophile grade system. it's too bad the customization of car audio is dying. my wife's car is a super low mileage clean 1997 grand prix, i replaced that audio as well. both my older rides have blue tooth and handsfree calling, along with upgraded speakers. i have a 5 speaker setup in my living room with a pioneer AV reciever.

i tried to order my crosstrek with the rockerford fozgate upgrade, unfortunately that option is out of stock according to the dealer that placed my order

Too bad about the upgrade system, but electronics are in short supply these days, to the point that almost everything is in short supply because it all depends on the "chips",
The era of custom stereo may be fading. You can probably still do it, but the console is now more a control center than a radio. It would take an entire rethink.
Since my hearing has been compromised since a young adult, I just don't really care. It sounds like garbage to me.
Yea, I know I'm the odd man out.

Last edited:
I generally have upgraded every car audio system I've owned to date. My last was a 2018 Wrangler JLU that I installed all Alpine stuff. Got a full-sound system upgrade with an 8" sub and amp under passenger seat, then sound bar speakers. It was fantastic. I upgraded the 5" UCONNECT infotainment system with the 8.4" UCONNECT, so I stayed factory, however better interface. That said, in 2018 there was literally NOTHINHG available to upgrade, too new. Couple years later the stuff started to be available, but slip pickings. Generally, aftermarket folks will eventually come out with plug n play systems that can retain all the factory features with no sacrifice. In time, things will be abundant, yet at a cost. These INFOTAINMENT systems are a pretty huge part of the vehicles functionality... All this said, I am now in a 22 Crosstrek Sport with the 8" Starlink system and I was trying to have the Rockford Fosgate upgraded system installed prior to delivery a week and change ago, but national shortage did not allow this. I am happy to report that for a factory system, I am more than pleased and satisfied.

Subaru used to offer a Rockford Fosgate upgrade (amp & speakers) but again, due to the chip shortage...no more...however I've seen it can still be had online. I'm thinking of looking into it. Doubt it's audiophile quality, but then...you're not in a symphony hall, either...

Ask a Question