Just bought my first manual and first Subaru! Woohoo! I have some questions

Reaction score
2011 Impreza 2.5i

This car will be the first car I take care by myself too (just started learning by watching youtube!) Trying to do everything I could to save few bucks!
So far I'm enjoying it a lot.

I've bought several tools and they are on the way. Veepeak obd2 just arrived today.

I honestly don't know what am I looking at. At least it's not poping up errors or flags.

However I realized the temperture (I assume it's referring coolant temperture?) is constantly around 205~21x.
Is it normal? I Google about it and then I'm down to a rabbit hole...I start wondering why the fans kick in so late when it's already 200~205.
Those Youtube videos are giving me too many ideas that I'm quite overwhelmed

Another question I have is the compressor

So first few questions are:
  1. What's the normal temperture range for my Impreza?
  2. Should I do the burp method trying to remove air? Problem is I'm not even sure if there's any
  3. Since the fans only kick in so late, could it be the themostat issue?
  4. The ac is not working. It blows air, but just not cold at all. The previous owner claimed just refill the refrigerant. I noticed the compressor's "front disc" part, I believe it's called clutch, not spinning like what I saw on Youtube. I'm just not sure if it would spin again after I refill some refrigerant?
I live in Vancouver if that matters at all. The car has 140k km

Thank you all in advance!

Last edited:
Chances are the freon on is leaking out of the air conditioner. The air conditioner has a fan that helps keep the radiator cool. If that is not working your engine temp will go up. Get your A/C serviced. The garage will evacuate the freon, suck down the system and install new freon with a dye to check for leaks. Go from there.

Ask a Question