Help Shelly the Impreza! Different tire diameters

Reaction score
Hi! I am hoping one of my fellow Subaru lovers has some information and advice for me about my 2012 Subaru Impreza, whose name is Shelly.
I recently got an unrepairable flat and took it in to get it replaced. I was told I didn't need to replace all 4 tires since the other 3 were almost brand new and had very limited tread wear and so the front, left tire was replaced.
However, four months later it started making a rumbling noise that progressively got worse over a 2-week period. I took it to my regular mechanic who told me that the tire shop replaced my tire with a different style Pirelli that had an outside diameter difference of .94”, which likely led to the transfer case of my car to fail, requiring a $5000.00 repair, not including the $1000.00 to replace all 4 tires! I was told this tire is outside of Subaru's allowed specifications for allowable tire diameter difference and it never should have been put on.
I called the regional manager who said this could not have caused the damage because the tires were the same size, though they agreed to go to my mechanic and look at it on the lift and did verify that the diameters were different (though the tires were technically the same size). After this I spoke with the manager again who stated he talked to Subaru and it was the "opinion" that my car was old and the transfer case was likely going to fail anyway, and they were not responsible for my repair--not even partially responsible. Can anyone provide me with guidance or evidence that will help me solidify my case before escalating it to the next level? Thanks!

Ask a Question