Help needed to wire a relay to install Daytime running lights on 97 outback

Reaction score
I am attaching some wiring diagrams and would like assistance to wire a relay to install daytime running lights on the car. Does someone have a good solution for this and could provide me with detailed instructions on how to do it please. Need to pass a safety inspection that requires DRL on the car. Thank you. Would like to get this done in the next couple days as a deadline is approaching

Attachments

• Headlight wiring diagram.jpg
    Headlight wiring diagram.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 124
  • headlight relay.jpg
    headlight relay.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 58
  • combination headlight switch ( low or high beam selector).jpg
    combination headlight switch ( low or high beam selector).jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 49
  • power supply routing.jpg
    power supply routing.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Fog light wiring diagram.jpg
    Fog light wiring diagram.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 281
If your car didnt come with DRL's from factory it wouldnt be required to pass inspection. Why are you having to install DRL's? Did you modify something else that is making it a requirement?

The shop I happened to go to for the Ontario safety inspection required it after at first saying it was not necessary. I had called a few shops and they all said it was not required. He claimed after my initial inspection where he wrote up a couple legitimate things to fix and a couple really unnecessary ones, that I went to fix instead of hiring his services that I actually had to do DRL also because my car was made after 1989. Not sure that is true for cars brought over from USA but what could I do? Turns out grounding the wire that runs to the headlight relay at the switch connector, simulating what the switch does turns low beams on and DRL achieved. But the road to that solution had a lot of sweat equity including wasted money and effort on an aftermarket DRL unit from Alpena from Canadian Tire that won't work in ground switched headlights, but despite trying to get technical details from the service tech and Alpena before install and asking if it would work where the common is at 12 v and low and high beam are selected by ground, no one was interested or understood and they just said follow the instructions , it will work, but of course it did not and they had no clue, .Canadian tire passing me off to Alpena and Alpena passing me off to Canadian tire for support, with neither answering basic technical questions that I needed to know about the unit and install, until finally after much complaining Alpena reluctantly found a tech person that said yeah, does not work in ground switched cars. but I already wasted time, tapped my low beam wire with their snap on tap and blew a fuse. Thanks guys Lol! If anyone needs a new DRL unit, Alpena sent me a new sealed one to return to the store but of course I don't have the receipt and store won't take it back.

Ask a Question