2006 Subaru Baja Sport Fuel System Help Needed

Reaction score
My son recently brought his '06 Baja Sport to me after spending thousands of dollars with a mechanic who could not solve an acceleration hesitation issue. I followed Chiltons recommendations for diagnosing a code-less engine hesitation problem including testing the solenoids and sensors, however they all passed. When I decided to test the fuel system to see if the pump was working within specs I discovered a (the?) problem. The '06 Baja Sport has a single fuel pump at the tank which supplies fuel to 2 fuel lines,..... one supplying the left head's injectors, the other the right head's injectors. The fuel line supplying the right head's injectors tested 24 Lbs pressure below the specified 34 Lbs, while the other tested smack on the money and maintained pressure even under acceleration. I removed the right's fuel damper in the off chance it was bad and causing the drop, but found no increase in pressure with it off.
If anyone has a solution for how to clear an obstruction from the fuel lines connecting the fuel pump to the engine compartment, I would greatly appreciate suggestions. Also helpful would be a 2006 Subaru Baja diagram showing the fuel line running from the pump to the splitter and into the two lines entering the engine compartment. At this point I plan on disconnecting the fuel line from the pump and from the rails, and using compressed air to dislodge any obstruction,. If unsuccessful I may try using a suitably thick and long enough wire to pass through the obstructed line to free it up. If neither of these work, I'm at a loss as to how to run new line from the pump to the engine compartment in a way that would be safe on the road and not a fire hazard given I can even locate the pathway the existing line runs...too much metal plating there obscuring view/access.

Ask a Question