Hard Start issues

Reaction score
I own a 2008 Impreza Outback Sport 2.53 non turbo. Recently it threw codes for #3 & #4 cylinder misfires. After working on it myself (changing plugs, checking plug wires and coil, soaking injectors) I made things worse. I took it to a local shop. They found 2 bad injectors and the coil had a weak leg. After replacing those the codes went away and it runs good, but now I have an issue with starting. If the vehicle is cold it starts fine. If I drive it 3 miles down the road and go in the store when I come out it won't start. It turns over fine, but it won't start. After a few hours it will start. Some days when it is really hot outside it takes a bit, but it will eventually kick over. I've researched and found it might be the crankshaft position sensor or the camshaft position sensor. I just replaced both, and the problem still exists. Any ideas? I'm running out of ideas myself.

First off is there any codes stored? A bad cam or crank sensor would throw a code. Sounds like either A. A connector or ground wire not tightened down. B. A crack in the coil, spark plug or wire. Hard to say without looking at it. At any rate if it started doing this after the garage touched it, I would take it back to them and have them figure it out and tell them this started after they worked on it

There are no codes. From other posts I've read, because the issue happens before the engine starts there won't be a code. The plugs and coil are new. I changed both of the position sensors because others had this problem and that fixed their issues. I've also read that it could be the engine temp sensor not sending the right signal making the fuel for start up lean or even flood. I'm also thinking it could be a fuel issue

I wouldn't stray too far from the work that was just done. Either it is coincidence that this problem starts right after last issue or it is related to last issue. Yes could be fuel issue such as one of those fuel injectors leaking down or not operating properly.

Ask a Question