Grinding while turning left from a stopped position 1999 subaru forester L manual transmission

Reaction score
1999 subaru forester L manual transmission

When there is no load or luggage on the car and only the driver and a few small items in the vehicle, the problem does not exist.

But, when the car is full of luggage; kayak, bicycle, coolers of ice, then the problem shows up. And this is the problem as it occurs:

After stopping at a red light or stop sign and only while turning left, and after I shift from 1st gear to 2nd or 3rd gear, a loud grinding sound is heard. Upon hearing the sound I immediately reengage the clutch and take the car out of gear till the sound goes away. I then reengage the clutch and place the car in either 2nd or 3rd gear and the problem goes away and can continue driving as usual. I also had this problem occur yesterday when putting the car into 5th gear as I was turning left.

When I changed the engine, and transmission fluids, I did not notice anything out of the ordinary, just normal wear and very small shavings on the transmission drain plug. Also, the tie-rods, cvboots all looked good, the wheel bears are still good as I just rotated the tires and had an alignment done with the car actually being not that far out of alignment as well. So everything I know checked out ok.

I don’t know if this is a mounting bolt issue with the engine or transmission or possibly a clutch problem.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Ask a Question