Dead battery after camping

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Forester, while on a three stay camping trip I used the backend of my car to store food and things from critters. The hatch was open quite a bit but I did make sure the cabin lights were out. After we packed up to head home I found that my battery was DEAD, this battery is only 3 months old. Luckily I was in a campground with other people so I was able to get a jump. What is the solution?
The guy at the dealer said that using it like that will always make it die, he said the hatch pulls a lot of power and could kill the battery in as little as 15 minutes, what??? Is this not an outdoor/camping vehicle. I wanted to get one of those hatch tents but don’t want to constantly be worried about my battery. What’s the “fix”? Where is the shutoff?

And the mystery Forester is?
And the mystery rear gate is a powered lift gate?

Attachments

• 2019 Forester.png
    2019 Forester.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 7
Well, now I feel stupid but I can’t find anything that says it is anything other than just a Foretser, but it does have x mode for snow and deep snow. I’m new to Subaru so I don’t know where all the secrets hide. And yes a powered lift gate that will obviously drain your battery while you’re sitting in the back looking at the ocean.

Three possible temporary solutions with the ignition key removed. If it's a proximity key, use a Faraday Cage.
1) Remove fuse SBF 5
2) Install ON / OFF switch at the LIN (Local Inter Connect Network) wire using schematic to power rear gate.
3) Use combinations 1 and 2

OR close the latch at the power rear gate.

Caution: Removing the fuse and or opening the LIN circuit may create errors within the network. The BIU is always trying to communicate with the LIN controllers

Test: An AMP clamp on the battery negative cable will allow a test to see if the networks entered sleep mode.
The magic number is about 0.030 mA

Attachments

• Power tops.pdf
    43.8 KB · Views: 3

Ask a Question