Dead Battery Unlocks Driver Side Door?

Reaction score
Sorry, this is more of a rant post than a solution post. I have a 2020 Outback with less than 5K miles that sat for about 3 weeks. When I finally decided to drive it the engine didn't turn over. OK. I know the battery needs to be recharged.

My problem is while I found the driver side door unlocked when I went to drive it, I could not lock the door with the fob. I'm sure I locked the door the last time I drove it. The other doors were locked. I thought that maybe the fob wasn't working properly so I changed the battery on the fob by following some YouTube tutorials. In the process I found the secret key, AKA proximity key, on the fob.

Unfortunately, the fob battery wasn't the problem. I thought the secret key would allow me to manually lock the driver side door. Nope. It only unlocks the driver side door. Why the dependence on tech? Why isn't there a manual option? I'm worried about the security issue with having the unlocked door. Sure, no one can drive it right now anyway. But why did it get unlocked to begin with?

I've read the "dead battery" posts by others and am not hopeful that charging the battery or even getting a new battery is the answer. I'm disappointed by Subaru. We shouldn't be having these dead battery issues with people DIYing solutions by changing out fuses and troubleshooting the parts that are draining the battery. Subaru should have been addressing these problems before the class action lawsuit started. Really disappointed.

I'm going to try to see what Subaru's service dept. will do after I get the battery recharged or get the car towed to them.

FYI: have a 1999 Outback with over 140k on it & other than broken antenna (drove thru car wash with radio on) & non-working cruise control, it still gets me around, even after sitting idle for a week.

Last edited:

Ask a Question