2017 Outback Dead battery

Reaction score
We’ve had two instances in the last year that we’ve gone to start our 2017 2.5 Limited Outback (25k or so miles) only to find the battery was too dead to start the engine. Each time the car had not be driven, or started, for about a week. And each time putting on a charger at 6A for about an hour brings it back to life and everything seems normal. The first time it happened we took it back to the dealership where we purchased it new in 2017. They could find nothing wrong.

Is it just me or should you expect a “newer”, high quality car like the Outback to reliably start even after it has been sitting idle for a week, or even two or three?

had this happen 4 times. Even during the first year of ownership. Dealer did nothing to fix the problem. I had many other electrical problems also. Dealer will only delete the history on the computer, charge the battery and send you one your way, with NO paperwork to prove you were there. As for the battery, it is a very underpowered original battery, way to small for the car.

had this happen 4 times. Even during the first year of ownership. Dealer did nothing to fix the problem. I had many other electrical problems also. Dealer will only delete the history on the computer, charge the battery and send you one your way, with NO paperwork to prove you were there. As for the battery, it is a very underpowered original battery, way to small for the car.

Any suggestions as to an upgrade / higher capacity battery? I've hit the same issue this week after the car sat for a week or so. Completely dead.

I just created an account here to make a post about my battery problems, then noticed your thread!

2017 Outback 2.5l here too, ran into a problem last year when the battery simply would not charge, dealer replaced it with a new one.

Now, a year later, after leaving the car idle for a while, had to jumpstart it once. Okay, except now I have to jumpstart it every single time, though I drive it around for 15-20 mins each time so it should be charging up! Will try to get it serviced, but in the meantime, happy to hear if anyone else has similar issues.

I also have a few pics of the battery that I took today, in case it helps.

Attachments

• IMG_7034.jpeg
    IMG_7034.jpeg
    378.4 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_7033.jpeg
    IMG_7033.jpeg
    340.8 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_7035.jpeg
    IMG_7035.jpeg
    292.7 KB · Views: 171
Do these vehicles have an add on remote start. I understand some of those have their own battery. Could that be helping the main battery not charge??

What did you find?
I have a 2016 legacy 2.5 limited which in nearly identical to the outback electrical. I have the same type of issue. As of 2021 I've replaced 3 batteries and about to put my 4th in. I did a drain check and on Fuse 9 under hood/main fuse box i get 0.6 amp drain then when i pull the fuse it drops to 0.06 amps. This feeds the data communication module / dcm. I haven't troubleshot it more from there.
Also has anyone changed out a DCM, how tough is it? Per the manual it looks like you have to pair the unit to the car, can that be done by a DIY person?

What did you find?
I have a 2016 legacy 2.5 limited which in nearly identical to the outback electrical. I have the same type of issue. As of 2021 I've replaced 3 batteries and about to put my 4th in. I did a drain check and on Fuse 9 under hood/main fuse box i get 0.6 amp drain then when i pull the fuse it drops to 0.06 amps. This feeds the data communication module / dcm. I haven't troubleshot it more from there.
Also has anyone changed out a DCM, how tough is it? Per the manual it looks like you have to pair the unit to the car, can that be done by a DIY person?
My brother just bought a 2019 outback and is having the drained battery issue. I searched and found that there is a class action lawsuit in process. When he bought the car they had just replaced the battery because the car had been sitting on the lot. They “checked” the electrical system and said it was okay. I have read the DCM module draws enough current that it drains the battery. I’ll look for a higher capacity battery. Have you any updates on your situation?

My brother just bought a 2019 outback and is having the drained battery issue. I searched and found that there is a class action lawsuit in process. When he bought the car they had just replaced the battery because the car had been sitting on the lot. They “checked” the electrical system and said it was okay. I have read the DCM module draws enough current that it drains the battery. I’ll look for a higher capacity battery. Have you any updates on your situation?
For my Legacy I found some tech bulletins that instructed the dealers to reprogram the charging program. Subaru program doesn't charge the battery continuous. Even out of warranty they changed the program and put in a battery free of charge. I haven't had any issues since but we drive it regularly. Note if you leave it sit for more than approximately 2 weeks it can drain the battery.

Hi, just came on for the same reason. 2017 Outback. Was told to be sure to turn off the lights, not auto off. Been driving it short distances and long, it continues to go dead. Just put the charger on until battery was fully charged but did not want to start. Doors open etc but all the screens remain on w/o car running, even when the fob is far away. Slight noise coming from deep in engine compartment. Finally got it started by pressing hard on the brake and holding the start button down for a very long time. Hubby found six codes with his tester. Will update with codes when I know them. All were related to air intake temperature #1 high circuit, PO113 and PO102 mass or volume air flow circuit low input. will post as a new thread and see what folks say.

Last edited:
2016 outback. Dead battery issues. replaced stock batter with 800 amp. Cranked slow but started yeaterday. drov 100 miles. Stopped and turned off. Tried to start 30 minutes later. Had to get a jump. This has happened several times. Found this online..
" Upon further investigation, it was determined that Subaru Outback vehicles have been experiencing dead battery issues because of problems with the control area network or Controller Area Network (CAN). A CAN system facilitates communication between electrical components, sensors, actuators, and microcontrollers.

When the car is in motion, the system is sufficiently powered. However, when switched off, it should go into a sleep state. However, as many class-action lawsuits claim, this device lacks an adequate sleep mode and has programming flaws that prevent it from saving power correctly.

As a result, battery drain occurs because electrical system continues to consume power from the OEM battery. When the vehicle owner returns to their Outback, there isn’t sufficient power to start the engine." HAS ANYONE FOUND A FIX??? thanks!

2016 outback. Dead battery issues. replaced stock batter with 800 amp. Cranked slow but started yeaterday. drov 100 miles. Stopped and turned off. Tried to start 30 minutes later. Had to get a jump. This has happened several times. ...... HAS ANYONE FOUND A FIX??? thanks!

I am experiencing the same battery drain issue on my 2014 Legacy. Yesterday I just isolated the fault using hints from other posts here around "Battery Drain" search topics. Bought a good DC ammeter, wired into series with the battery and removed fuses one at a time in the engine compartment fuse box. Engine off during the whole procedure. I went through all numbered fuses and there was a constant 7.5 Amp drain --which is very high. All fuses pulled one at a time and no change. Then I tried the "box" style fuses - these are about 1/2" square, plastic, and has a somewhat transparent top. The one I pulled was just below numbered fuses 20 and 22 - and the current draw immediately dropped to a fraction of an amp - 0.3A I believe. Hazzah! So now I know it's that circuit - the "box" style fuse has "30" clearly labelled on the top, the plastic is a purple color, and I tested it for continuity - it is still conducting - which makes sense. I plug it back in and the Ammeter shows 7.5A draw, remove it and drain drops to 0.3Amps. Then started the car with the fuse removed - starts fine, voltage out of the alternator is as expected - around 13.4V with engine running. However the CEL is on, brake light flashes, and cruise control indicator flashes on/off. So I'm not comfortable driving it, but my current status is leaving the car sit for 2-3 days and I anticipate the battery will hole held enough charge to start from cold --which would be an improvement.

Now my issue is to identify the circuit for that un-numbered fuse and then trace down which end point gixmo is the root cause. At least I'm happy to have it isolated. Suspect I have to buy the wiring diagram to figure it out. In the Legacy, fuse 20 & 22 are side by side, then there are two purple-tinted 30-amp square fuses - the one I pulled to isolate the drain is the one of those two closest to the front of the vehicle.

And in case it's not clear - when I say "un-numbered" --the fuse itself has "30" which means it is rated for 30 Amps. But on the fuse box diagram there is no number for that space. So that makes it a challenge for me to figure out which circuits it protects.

We’ve had two instances in the last year that we’ve gone to start our 2017 2.5 Limited Outback (25k or so miles) only to find the battery was too dead to start the engine. Each time the car had not be driven, or started, for about a week. And each time putting on a charger at 6A for about an hour brings it back to life and everything seems normal. The first time it happened we took it back to the dealership where we purchased it new in 2017. They could find nothing wrong.

Is it just me or should you expect a “newer”, high quality car like the Outback to reliably start even after it has been sitting idle for a week, or even two or three?

Hi. I have a 2017 Outback with only 23,000 miles. The battery has died 3 times, maybe more. I thought initially I left a light on or something but it’s not that. The AAA guys who came said it’s a common issue.
I drive it everyday but not far. Subaru corporate originally told me I’m not driving it enough-that the car needs mileage. I said if I knew this I’d never have bought it! I’ve never had a car’s battery die this frequently!
I’d say call Subaru corporate. Press this issue. It’s obviously a common issue with this year and model. They sent me brownies to make nice but this doesn’t solve the issue! So much for their reliability image.
The Subaru dealer says it’s a DCM fuse issue and he could remove it. What? No one can say what this fuse does. I asked is it the appendix of my car? Can it be removed and my pain is gone? No reply! Subaru suggests not removing it although they’ve heard of this being done. They will pay partial amount to cover removal -although they have no real reason for dead battery and don’t want me to remove the DCM!
Love to hear back from anyone with this problem.

Hi. I have a 2017 Outback with only 23,000 miles. The battery has died 3 times, maybe more. I thought initially I left a light on or something but it’s not that. The AAA guys who came said it’s a common issue.
I drive it everyday but not far. Subaru corporate originally told me I’m not driving it enough-that the car needs mileage. I said if I knew this I’d never have bought it! I’ve never had a car’s battery die this frequently!
I’d say call Subaru corporate. Press this issue. It’s obviously a common issue with this year and model. They sent me brownies to make nice but this doesn’t solve the issue! So much for their reliability image.
The Subaru dealer says it’s a DCM fuse issue and he could remove it. What? No one can say what this fuse does. I asked is it the appendix of my car? Can it be removed and my pain is gone? No reply! Subaru suggests not removing it although they’ve heard of this being done. They will pay partial amount to cover removal -although they have no real reason for dead battery and don’t want me to remove the DCM!
Love to hear back from anyone with this problem.
Welcome to the 2017 Outback Stock-battery-is-too-small-unless-you-drive-at-least-30 minutes-or-so-per-day Club. We (this is my elder parent's car) also went round & round & round with Subaru & our dealer after our new 2017 would not start, on 3 different occasions, due to a low battery. The dealer happily-installed a "new" battery but the problem persisted 4 weeks later. After extensive-hitting of all the popular car diagnostic sites & forums & misc brain-picking of some car-pros, & following all-kinds of electrically-charged rabbit trails, we determined the bottom line is the OEM batt in the 2017 Outback is just too small for the non-commuting crowd; yes it make no sense that you drive it 15 minutes every 2 days, then after a month it needs a jumpstart...that's not what you ( i.e. me), paid $36k to get, but that's how it is. The answer? spend $400-$600 on a really good battery or periodically put your OEM batt on $24 trickle charger. We installed a simple quick disconnect for a trickle charger & my Dad periodically plugs it in without even pooping, er...sorry I'm a terrible speller...popping the hood. Yes, the trickle-charge thing is a bit awkward, but for the last 5 years or so it's been "problem solved".

Have you had the battery tested. May have a bad cell.

For my Legacy I found some tech bulletins that instructed the dealers to reprogram the charging program. Subaru program doesn't charge the battery continuous. Even out of warranty they changed the program and put in a battery free of charge. I haven't had any issues since but we drive it regularly. Note if you leave it sit for more than approximately 2 weeks it can drain the battery.
Update. Recently received a notice from Subaru that the DCM can cause this issue now that 3g is no longer available. They have a program fix. I haven't taken mine in yet.

That’s because the dealership only checks the volts not the amperage you could line up a couple of AAA batteries and still get 12 V but it won’t start your car. Subaru is a very dirty company.

Ask a Question