2017 Outback Dead battery

Discussion in 'Subaru Outback' started by goco, May 2, 2020.

1. goco

goco

We’ve had two instances in the last year that we’ve gone to start our 2017 2.5 Limited Outback (25k or so miles) only to find the battery was too dead to start the engine. Each time the car had not be driven, or started, for about a week. And each time putting on a charger at 6A for about an hour brings it back to life and everything seems normal. The first time it happened we took it back to the dealership where we purchased it new in 2017. They could find nothing wrong.

Is it just me or should you expect a “newer”, high quality car like the Outback to reliably start even after it has been sitting idle for a week, or even two or three?

goco, May 2, 2020
    1. Advertisements

2. goco

Greg Herman

had this happen 4 times. Even during the first year of ownership. Dealer did nothing to fix the problem. I had many other electrical problems also. Dealer will only delete the history on the computer, charge the battery and send you one your way, with NO paperwork to prove you were there. As for the battery, it is a very underpowered original battery, way to small for the car.

Greg Herman, May 10, 2020
    1. Advertisements

3. goco

Mister-Z

Any suggestions as to an upgrade / higher capacity battery? I've hit the same issue this week after the car sat for a week or so. Completely dead.

Mister-Z, May 21, 2020
  4. goco

agam

I just created an account here to make a post about my battery problems, then noticed your thread!

2017 Outback 2.5l here too, ran into a problem last year when the battery simply would not charge, dealer replaced it with a new one.

Now, a year later, after leaving the car idle for a while, had to jumpstart it once. Okay, except now I have to jumpstart it every single time, though I drive it around for 15-20 mins each time so it should be charging up! Will try to get it serviced, but in the meantime, happy to hear if anyone else has similar issues.

I also have a few pics of the battery that I took today, in case it helps.

Attached Files:

agam, May 26, 2020 at 7:12 AM
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question