Cam sprocket deteriorated

Reaction score
My friends daughter had her 2004 Forester (with turbo) towed to my house today after the engine stopped while she was driving on the highway and she crashed. She is ok and the body vould use a little work. The radiator did not even get damaged.

When i looked under the hood, I saw that there was a hole in the top of the Passenger side timing belt cover. I removed it to find everything in place except that the plastic exhaustive timing belt sprocket had totally deteriorated. Chunks! Had never seen that before. The belt had been replaced less than a year ago. Lots of shruged shoulders when asked her mechanic.

Drained the oil. 2 quarts low. No metal in the oil. Put my meter on and checked for codes. PO340 camshaft position sensor.

What could have happened?
What should I do next to evaluate?
Engine replacement or rebuild?

Thanks,

Ted

Attachments

• IMG_5495.JPG
    IMG_5495.JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 295
Why would you think that? There was no oil leakage near the timing belt or anywhere else. Cams do not feel seized. Crank moves fine

Ask a Question