Double Cam Shaft Replacement on 2018 Impreza

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Dealing with a bit of sticker shock from the repair quote we just got back from a dealership (brought in our 2018 impreza due to check engine light). A previous non-dealer mechanic had replaced the cam shaft sensors, reset the codes, but they came back on shortly after. He was stumped, so we brought it to the dealer, who is giving us a $3000 quote on replacing two cam sprockets on the passenger side (says the engine needs to come out for this), and giving us a new computer (something about how the codes are permanent once they go on). The worst part? Our warranty expired three weeks ago.

My questions are:

1. Is this a reasonable quote? Worth perhaps seeking a quote on the cam sprockets from 3rd party and having subaru do the computer?
2. Is this a sign that there could be worse problems to come with this car, and I could be throwing good money after bad? They also told us we need new brakes and tires, looking at $4k total.
3. I'm trying to reach Subaru national customer service now to try and get them to do something about the warranty, if anyone has any advice for how to best argue our case (this seems really early in the life of a car for such a massive repair, it has only 70k miles on it)

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone is able to give.

Identify the Impreza, engine model and transmission. Look at the image.
Find a smarter technician and call B.S. on their statement:
A new computer? something about how the codes are permanent once they go on. = B.S. 100%
With a correct ID, more information can be found.

Attachments

• 3hH4Pknrxs.png
    3hH4Pknrxs.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 5

Ask a Question