2023 Legacy Lane Centering feature

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced any funky maneuvers caused by this feature?
I was in the right lane nearing an off ramp intending to stay on the main road and the feature tried to pull me onto the off ramp on the right. At this location the right lane line went up the off ramp while the left lane line continued straight.
In another incident I was going straight through an intersection with a stop bar across the roadway. The LC feature jerked the car from the center lane to about halfway into the left lane. Easily corrected by hand, but concerning.

This 2023 Legacy model with Lane Centering feature also has Eyesight?
If it does, make sure Eyesight is clean and if cleaning the interior glass, cover Eyesight.
Any type of debris on the windscreen and in winter weather will create unwanted "driver assist" intervention.
That will also include snow or ice on the road surface.
Another factor is snow, ice, water from other vehicles contaminating the windscreen.
Trusting or relying on those types of "driver assist systems", especially in bad weather should never be trusted.
If the concern is when the roads a relatively clear, have the system looked at via dealer and request faults and or a calibration.

1. Keep a good grip on the steering wheel.
2. The info screen that shows the two white lanes have two choices: On or off. Brighter is on, grayed out (but still visible) is off. I watch those lines on the info screen as I drive.

I've experienced a similar situation as you. The car sort of 'takes control' but you have to fight it. If everything is working correctly, the car should sense that you're hands are on the wheel and also if you move the wheel the slightest bit, the car should say, "Oh, the driver doesn't want me to take him/her off the highway so I'll give control back to the driver." All happening in milliseconds, of course. Believe me, these assist and safety features are something we humans have to get used to. Or, you can turn it off by pushing the distance button until the lanes are gone.

Has anyone experienced any funky maneuvers caused by this feature?
I was in the right lane nearing an off ramp intending to stay on the main road and the feature tried to pull me onto the off ramp on the right. At this location the right lane line went up the off ramp while the left lane line continued straight.
In another incident I was going straight through an intersection with a stop bar across the roadway. The LC feature jerked the car from the center lane to about halfway into the left lane. Easily corrected by hand, but concerning.
Yes, once when an oncoming car oozed over into my lane, the steering fought me when I moved over the lane line to avoid a head on. I now disable it, but have to do it every time I start up again. Dangerous and annoying feature.

No one should ever fight a driven vehicle and "get used to it" is not the answer. Drtdunn nailed it >>
"Dangerous and annoying feature"
The answer is, shut that feature off, drive the vehicle and maintain control at all times.

Yes, once when an oncoming car oozed over into my lane, the steering fought me when I moved over the lane line to avoid a head on. I now disable it, but have to do it every time I start up again. Dangerous and annoying feature.
My 2020 Legacy likes the hug the right side of the lane and scare the bejesus out of the passenger. Dealership has only b.s. response. I should find a monitored forum for answers directly from Subaru.

Yeah I notice that if I get close to the center road strip paint separating two lanes, the car will jerk away at first, then it will grab the wheel and actually try to drag me back towards the center of the road towards incoming traffic

Ask a Question