Does the 2023 Legacy have Auto Start Stop?

I can't answer for this particular model, but finding anything without the auto start is going to be difficult if not impossible any more. Maybe a standard transmission.
It is a feature of the times.
Happy Shopping.

My 2022 Legacy Premium has Auto Start/Stop but I can shut it off easily on the touchscreen, but automatically turns it back on whenever I restart the car, so i would think it would be similar if not the same for 2023.

The 2023 I test drove had it, but there is a single off button on the screen now. However, I never even noticed it was on while test driving it. The dealer said a combination of how long you are standing still and how hard you are pushing the brake pedal (not how quickly you are braking, but how hard you are holding the pedal down) causes it to engage or not. With it still turned on, it never caused the engine to shut down at all, in about 20 minutes of stop and go and at streetlights stopped. I think they improved the software.

Doesn't the wear and tear of the engine increase every time a car start up? Is it worth the gas savings accumulated from Auto Start Stop?

The Legacy has had auto start/stop since at least 2020. They originally buried the switch for it about three layers deep in the menu, but I think they got enough negative feedback that they did a software update and moved the switch to the home screen. So it's easy to disable, although as someone else mentioned, you have to do it every time you start the car. I don't feel you save enough gas to cover the replacement cost of a starter, which does get more wear and tear with auto start/stop. But this is a way all manufacturers are getting their required fleet fuel mileage figures, so we're stuck with it.

Doesn't the wear and tear of the engine increase every time a car start up? Is it worth the gas savings accumulated from Auto Start Stop?
No, and the EPA thinks so.
The starter and battery are supposed to be bumped up in durability, even though batteries don't last on anything like they used to. The engine is already oiled and to operating temperature from running, so no real SNAFU there, and a lot of things have to come into play for it to shut off. Passenger compartment temp, engine temp, ambient air temp, brake pressure, and a host of other things. I don't know the entire laundry list, but it is supposed to be substantial and the engine isn't shut off for that long.
In reality, it may save you a quarter or two in gas cost per tank, but every little bit helps. Like Joe said, they are using it to help with the fleet MPG average.
The EPA could just shut up and allow the manufacturers to optimize economy and emissions. There is a lot of mileage and performance left on the table to meet the unrealistic mandates, and I'm not convinced there are much better ways of doing the same thing.

Last edited:
Where is the hood open sensor?
There are 3 wires in a sleeve going from the hood latch to the right. On your model they may run under a plastic cover, lift it up and you will see the connector, open it. On some models it's under the cover, on others it's closer to the windshield washer bottle.

There are 3 wires in a sleeve going from the hood latch to the right. On your model they may run under a plastic cover, lift it up and you will see the connector, open it. On some models it's under the cover, on others it's closer to the windshield washer bottle.
Does disconnecting it trigger a Hood Open Warning Light? How do you release the connector itself? It's very limited working space.

Yes a warning light will stay on, a minor matter compared with the bs of this start/stop function. Use your fingers and a screw driver to pull the connector apart.

Ask a Question