2016 Legacy 2.5l Low rpm vibration/drone.

Reaction score
2016 Legacy 2.5. 134,000 miles.
Idles perfect.
When driving from speeds of 10-40mph I'm experiencing a ridiculous vibration and drone sound throughout the car. Only when holding at a speed in that range or feathering on the gas pedal a bit. This happens when the rpms are very low due to the cvt transmission. About 1100rpm. I assume it runs at such a low rpm in that speed range for fuel efficiency, but it puts load on the engine and driveline causing the irritating bass type noise and vibration.
I found if I flip to paddle shift mode, the rpms raise to about 1500rpm and it won't let me shift up past 5th "gear" as the cvt will do in standard Drive mode. Switching to paddle shift gets rid of the vibration and drone. Problem is I didn't buy the car for the stupid manual mode. I would've bought a car with a regular manual transmission instead of stupid paddle shifter fake crap.
Would it take a shop to tune the ECU to operate standard drive more smoothly or is that just how these dumb CVTs work?

Last edited:

Ask a Question