2016 legacy 2.5L cooling fans not coming on

Reaction score
Hi, I am hoping to get some direction on the problem I am having. A branch went through the condenser and radiator of my wife's 2016 Legacy 2.5L. We were able to notice it before any more damage was done from overheating. I replaced the radiator and ac condenser today. I purchased one of those no spill radiator funnels to help with the purging process. The vehicle ran for well over 1/2 hour and about 2 gallons of coolant was put in. I have heat in the cab of the vehicle but the fans never kick on. I checked which I think are the fuses for the fans #27 and #28, main and sub fan. Both had 12 volts on both sides. I am at a standstill right now. I am not able to find specific locations on any relays to check. Thank you.

Make absolutely sure all air is bled from the cooling system.
Use the schematic to "turn the fans on" individually using jumper wires, connectors etc.
With both fans disconnected and key ON only:
Left fan - Pin 1 is battery power and Pin 2 is ground
Right fan - Pin 1 is battery power and pin 2 is ground
You can also manually "jump" the connections at the relay positions to enable the fans without disconnecting the wiring to the fans.

With a scan tool, test the actual engine coolant temperature sensor while the engine is running. You should see the temperature climb and close to 95 to 100 degrees C the fans should engage. The ECM will control the fan ON OFF status.

Attachments

• 2016 Subaru Legacy 2.5L cooling fans.pdf
    56.9 KB · Views: 7

Ask a Question