2015 Impreza washer fluid stopped working

Reaction score
Hi - I just bought a used 2015 Impreza in great shape. Everything looks clean (75k) and well cared for except a couple of minor things.

The washer fluid was working when I bought it but suddenly is no longer working (both from and back windows)

I made sure there is fluid in the car, so I figure it's most likely the pump that failed. (I suppose it's possible that its a switch or connection that failed.)

Does anyone here know how easy it is to replace the washer fluid pump? Or if something else might be the issue? (It doesn't look as though there's a fuse dedicated to the washer fluid pump)

Let me know if you have any advice, thanks!

-Tom

If I remember right it is accessible through the wheel well. I don't have a picture in front of me.

Thanks for your response Garry.
Yes that sounds right . The reservoir is down in that area and I think the pump is attached to it. Not sure whether its easy enough to get to for me to do it myself. i did see one youtube video which showed how to get to it on a WRX so maybe its similar. But first I'd like to make sure it's the pump that's the problem (which seems most likely).

-Tom

If you have a test light you can test it yourself. As far as doing it yourself you can. Pull the wheel. Pull the push pins out of there are some. Remove the small head bolts. I believe they are 1/4 or 5.5/6 mm. Pull it back so you have access. Pull the plug on the motor. Plug clamp end of test light to a good ground ( usually the frame). Probe the connector you just unplugged. Have someone turn the washer on and look for the light. If the probe light comes on then motor is bad. Pop motor out and replace it. Suggest doing it with the bottle empty or clean bucket under the motor

Actually - since it's both the front and back washer fluid that are not working, would it be the pump itself? I heard that there are actually two pumps (one for front and one for back). So is both front and back are failing it makes me think something else is the issue. So I'm checking fuses. But there are some fuses to the right of the main fusebox in the dashboard, that have no guide. So I cant tell what that line of fuses corresponds to.

Attachments

• 2015 Impreza.png
    2015 Impreza.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 8
Thanks - It's a Subaru Impreza Sport.
And thanks for the fuse guide - however there is also a line of eight other fuses just to the right of the set of 33 fuses in the passenger compartment. Do you know what those eight fuses are for? I cant seem to locate any information on them.

I did try a test light, and found some fuses that aren't working. One in particular (in that line of eight fuses to the right), second from bottom, doesn't light and a swapped in a known good fuse, and is still doesn't light. I wonder if that's related to the washer fluid, but have no reference to know what that fuse is for.

Thanks again for your help

Did the vehicle come with an owners manual?
Schematics provided.

Fuse tests can be:
Battery connection at all times and no key required
Key ON fuse test
Engine running fuse test
Depending on the circuit, one of the conditions apply.

You're welcome.

Attachments

• 2015 Impreza Sport front washer.pdf
    66.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 2015 Impreza Sport rear washer.pdf
    63 KB · Views: 7
Thank you, I do have the Owner's manual but there is not much info there for troubleshooting.
I took a closer look into this by getting under the car and accessing the reservoir and pumps - i

It turns out that the back washer fluid pump *is* working, but the fluid isn't making it to the back of the car. When you hit the switch, fluid comes out behind the right front wheel. So obviously a leak in the line. Not sure how that happened, pretty sure it was working when we first got the car (just a few weeks ago)

I was also able to get the front washer fluid to work , after jiggling the wires at the pumps. So clearly there's a faulty wire there causing it to be intermittent. But both pumps seem fine.

Thanks for your help - I learned something and I'm closer to fixing the problems.

-Tom

Anyone know where I can find out how the fluid hose goes from the front to the back of the car? I'm thinking to open up behind the front wheel where the fluid comes out when I hit the switch, since its clearly leaking there.
But would be nice to see some info about how that whole hose works.

Last edited:
Read this post.
Washer hose can be purchased at many auto supply outlets.
Follow the hoses behind the inner plastic fender wheel well (block the vehicle safely).
The hose to the rear will eventually make it to the interior to extend to the rear hinge.
The rear hose can also be damaged near the rear hinge area

Thanks! -
I peeled back the cover behind the wheel and felt around and found the rear washer hose, and I could feel where the hose was mangled, hence the leak. I think its possible that when working near the battery (I put a battery tiedown in soon after getting the car) the hose might have gotten yanked and that could have caused it to rip (it's attached to the car just past the rip, so its possible it could have gotten stretched enough to break. The other possibility is a rat chewed it, but I think (hope) that's less likely.

I attempted to fix it with silicone tape, but I couldn't really see what I was doing and it didn't work. I think I will probably need to take the wheel off to get better access, and then splice the hose.

Ask a Question