Rube Goldburg windshield washer.

Reaction score
2014 Legacy 2.5

Trying to fix my windshield washer. No squirt at the windshield but the pump works and when activated, windshield washing solution comes out from the driver side just forward of the tire. Seems simple, the hose came off the pump.

That's not it. First, there is not simply a panel to remove to get at the bottom of the reservoir. There is a little connecting panel with seven (IIRC) push fasteners. That just bridges a tiny gap between the fender liner and another panel. Then about a half dozen other fasteners have to come out just to see the bottom of the reservoir.

Guess what, the hose is connected. But the hose is a clear vinyl where it attaches to the pump, but is black vinyl where it goes under the cowl to the nozzles. I'm guessing that there is a hose barb somewhere under the fender. It started raining so I had to stop for the day. Looks like tomorrow I'm going to have to jack up the car, remove the right front tire so that I can remove the fender liner to find this hose barb or what ever connector is used.

There is a small plastic panel just under the hood that covers a seam between the fender and an interior panel. It has three small round head looks like push pins but they feel like they are metal and they are only the size of a screw head. I may see if I can pop those out and see if the hose is running just under it, but by pulling the forward end out, I am not optimistic that will work.

Another case of engineers who design stuff they don't have to fix.

The small panel above goes between the fender liner and the front bumper cover. Seems like it would have been cheaper to have just extended the fender liner another two inches and attach it directly to the bumper cover, but they didn't ask me.

The small plastic panel that covers the fender seam has three small plastic fasteners that just pop out. The cowl had to come off next and that meant destroying 5 fasteners, they only come out by cutting off the bottom end. Looks like an opportunity for a cost savings there as the push pin is a three piece affair, a simpler push pin could have been used, in fact that is what I did.

There was a hose barb connecting a rubber hose to the vinyl hose off the pump. The hose had six holes in it from rodent chewing on it.

I think I need a couple of outdoor only cats.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RolrSk8

Latest Threads

Back