2013 Forester - having to replace the engine

Reaction score
Bought this car for my daughter Jan. 2022 with a little over 100,000 on the clock. Clean, nice looking, ran well. It still runs well. After having it serviced for the 2nd time a couple of weeks ago, the Subaru dealer told her the engine is about to fail with a terminal knock - rod & piston slap, I think she was told.

So, I talked to the service dept. guy, who explained to me that it is not a question of if the engine fails - it is a question of when. Bottom line - the dealer is searching for a used engine to replace the one in the car. Expensive - very expensive.

How often does this type of thing happen? Actually, the first time she got the car serviced at the dealer, she was told then that the car was knocking some. I recall her telling me about it, but, in all honesty, she said it only did it sometimes. Our family has had a lot of distracting issues over the last year and a half, so I sort of forgot about it until this happened a couple of weeks ago. We bought this car at Carmax. I think that might have been the first mistake.

Feel free to blast me. I deserve it, I guess.

Bought this car for my daughter Jan. 2022 with a little over 100,000 on the clock. Clean, nice looking, ran well. It still runs well. After having it serviced for the 2nd time a couple of weeks ago, the Subaru dealer told her the engine is about to fail with a terminal knock - rod & piston slap, I think she was told.

So, I talked to the service dept. guy, who explained to me that it is not a question of if the engine fails - it is a question of when. Bottom line - the dealer is searching for a used engine to replace the one in the car. Expensive - very expensive.

How often does this type of thing happen? Actually, the first time she got the car serviced at the dealer, she was told then that the car was knocking some. I recall her telling me about it, but, in all honesty, she said it only did it sometimes. Our family has had a lot of distracting issues over the last year and a half, so I sort of forgot about it until this happened a couple of weeks ago. We bought this car at Carmax. I think that might have been the first mistake.

Feel free to blast me. I deserve it, I guess.
Don’t sell yourself short, there is a class action lawsuit online, check it out to see if you can get some help!

Ask a Question