Wrong tires put on my Outback, grrrr... (Avid Ascend)

Reaction score
Hi! I have a 2013 Subaru Outback, and about 6 months ago a lady didn't check her blind spot and in spite of my blaring my horn, she hit me. Thank goodness it wasn't high speed and no one was hurt, but there was significant damage to the car. I chose a local body shop that did some minor work on my car previously. It took a month, but eventually the car was given back to me. I didn't notice anything in particular except the acceleration seemed a bit slower than usual, but very slightly so wasn't sure if it was my imagination.

Anyway a few weeks ago, the tire pressure light flickered and I took it to a American Tires to get the pressure checked. He kept looking and looking and checking and then told me the pressure on the tires were fine, but that I had the wrong tires on my car! He said I'm supposed to have 225/60R17, but they put on 50R17s! I was told that I wasn't in any danger, but that the "50"s are supposed to be for a sedan and that the Outback was technically too heavy for the car and my odometer would be slightly off. UG!

I drove over to the local Subaru dealership where it was confirmed I was supposed to have the "60". Called American Tires in the previous town I lived where I had last bought a set of tires, and they have me on record as buying the full set of Avid Ascend "60"s a year earlier. So I go to the body shop that did all the work and dang it, looks like there was a cascade of stupid going on. He showed me the original estimate written up by the adjuster from Geico, and she's the one who put down the wrong tires. The body shop took the information and ordered the tires from Big O. No one there caught the mistake, the tires were sent to the body shop and they had some other tire shop across the street put the tires on and THEY didn't notice either. So now I'm in the middle of a bunch of finger pointing. I just want the correct tires, the ones I had on before that lady hit my car!

I just got off the phone with the adjuster's supervisor and he said he would agree to pay for the labor to change the tires, but wont pay for the new set of tires because he said it's the body shop who's ultimately responsible. The guy at the body shop who was in charge of the fix is trying to downplay it and say the "50"s are fine and they're safe, yada yada. Well, okay I may not be skidding around, but seems to me if I'm told they're the wrong tires, then the mistake needs to be corrected. I certainly didn't appreciate the head patting he tried on me! I'm no expert and I often let minor things slide, but not when it comes to my car! Good grief!

What say you? Where does the buck stop? Are they all responsible?

Who ever ordered the tires is responsible. Actually, that all are. The blind leading the blind.
It's not rocket science.
If there's a Better Business Bureau, lodge a complaint and save all your documents.
Go to your local news service, they may like an interesting story.

Last edited:
Most of the places in my area won't put on a tire not specified for the vehicle on the door sticker. Did you pick the body shop or did the insurance company? Most of them guarantee the work if you go to a 'preferred' shop so maybe play that card?

Most of the places in my area won't put on a tire not specified for the vehicle on the door sticker. Did you pick the body shop or did the insurance company? Most of them guarantee the work if you go to a 'preferred' shop so maybe play that card?
Yes, I picked the shop because I had some minor work done a few months prior and they did a great job.
The sticker on the door frame is ineligible unfortunately because it had been scraped over the years probably from the seatbelt.
One thing the guy at the shop did admit though is that he had failed to take pictures of the tire where it shows the type or something. He said he usually does, but couldn't find them anywhere, so went with what was put down on paper by the adjuster. Zoiks!

Find the correct specifications in the owners manual.
Find an identical model and ask for a photo of the door placard.

Or just do a search on Tire Rack - they list the proper sizes for each make and model.
Thanks, just looked it up. There are 2 choices for "factory tire sizes"... 16" 215/70-16 OR 17" 225/60-17.

I had the 225/60-17. The claims adjuster wrote down 225/50-17 and then the shop ordered those and had them put on!

If you have the written info from the adjuster I guess that's the best person to 'go after'. All the others we sloppy in their jobs but that's where the problem started. Did they send the car (or just the rims) to the tire shop. If they sent just the rims that would make more sense that they just went with the flow.

This is the speedo calculation:
Thank you! This is interesting. We've done a lot of road trips on this baby, it all adds up. It has about 195K on it right now, and our intention is to keep it in the best shape possible until it goes to heaven. ;)

Now that I think about it. On some models with AWD that big a difference in the tire diameters can wreak havoc on the systems and cause serious damage. I really don't know if Subaru fits this category but if it does drive system damage can be happening now to the drive system.

Now that I think about it. On some models with AWD that big a difference in the tire diameters can wreak havoc on the systems and cause serious damage. I really don't know if Subaru fits this category but if it does drive system damage can be happening now to the drive system.
Yes, it's concerning. I didn't get from the guys at American Tires where they first discovered the error while checking the tire pressure that this is an immediate emergency, but definitely needs correcting. I'm trying to drive as least as possible right now until this is resolved.

If you have the written info from the adjuster I guess that's the best person to 'go after'. All the others we sloppy in their jobs but that's where the problem started. Did they send the car (or just the rims) to the tire shop. If they sent just the rims that would make more sense that they just went with the flow.
I spoke to the adjuster's supervisor and he stated, according to Geico policy, that it's ultimately the responsibility of the shop to put the correct equipment on the car, but agreed to paying the labor to resolve the situation. I had him send me an email with his stated position as well so I have it in writing.

I agree actually that Geico's adjuster is at fault, followed by a bunch of opps. The tires were ordered by the shop from Big O, then installed at a local tire shop across the street from the body shop.

"On some models with AWD that big a difference in the tire diameters can wreak havoc on the systems and cause serious damage"
Incorrect theory!

I really don't know if Subaru fits this category but if it does drive system damage can be happening now to the drive system.
Incorrect assumption!

It is individual circumference differences between one or more tires that causes damage within the differentials / traction control center differentials and limited slip components. With at knowledge, incorrect tire circumference affects the speedometer readings.

This is not a debate, it is what I teach and calculate with vibration analysis.

I didn't see anyone engaging in debate but if someone really wants to figure it out diameter is correlated to circumference and the latter can be easily calculated with the former. Either way the tires are different enough, I believe, in this case to be a cause for concern.

Playing with robotics:

Fill in the blanks and calculate the rotation / revolutions over 1 kilometer.
225/60R17
At 100 Km/H calculate the frequency.

Fill in the blanks and calculate the rotation / revolutions over 1 kilometer.
225/50R17
At 100 Km/H calculate the frequency.

Swap one or the other tire dimensions onto one corner of the vehicle.
Fill in the blanks and calculate the rotation / revolutions over 1 kilometer for each corner.
At 100 Km/H calculate the frequency for each corner.

Now "figure" it out.

Thanks Professor Whoopie. I don't do homework any longer and will just say your right and the entire internet is wrong.

Okay, getting a kick out of the Baru Nerd Wars all of a sudden! I just want the tires I had before the accident to be put on my car! LOL!

UPDATE: Most people I've talked to agree the problem started with the ding dong mistake the original Geico claims adjuster made. I also spoke with the dude at the body shop who was in charge of the fix. He's waiting for his boss to come back from vacation or something so he asked I call back next Wednesday. He said he's gathering the back and forth emails he had with the adjuster as well as the email I forwarded him from the adjuster's supervisor that says they'll pay for labor only.
In the meantime, I called Geico back and requested escalation so I was provided with the name and number of the supervisor's boss.
So the saga continues.

Sincere apologies Shasta944, get the originals tires and you'll be very happy with the Subaru for many years.

Hey rowlands57, when it comes to technology, I'll dance circles around you all day long while training my Alsatian.

What I WILL NOT ACCEPT is an insult. I have written many books, papers, technical articles and taught from the Pacific to the Atlantic oceans.

But I do want to thank you for opening my eyes and asking one simple question while having my Dog leaps over a table.
For what possible reason would I type one more word in this place?
One last mention. When you shove your head up your ass, do keep your eyes open or closed?
Later genius, my Shepherd Dog has far more value than you.

Ask a Question