White discoloration interior plastic trim

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Long term subaru owner, new forum member here.

I have a 2014 Subaru Forester with basic black trim. In recent years, I've noticed a white discoloration randomly appearing throughout the trim. The white looks chalky and doesn't wash out. I think the plastic may be degrading. At first, I thought it might be related to UV damage, but the locations are so random, it doesn't appear so.

Has anyone else encountered this issue with their Subaru? Any ideas how to restore back to the original color?

Many thanks.

PXL_20231003_215008106.jpg
PXL_20231003_214956477.jpg
PXL_20231003_214941453.jpg

Honestly, looks like damage from a cleaning product or even a product not intended to be used on plastic. How thoroughly have you attempted to clean? I've seen products with alcohol in them cause this discolouration on plastic. Though.. the pattern/coverage here is a bit strange. I wouldn't expect to be able to restore well, unless you find that it IS something foreign on the surface and hasn't worn the colour out of the plastic itelf

Ask a Question