Which year Outback is "best"? ie reliable, dependable, low upkeep

Reaction score
After 25 years of driving Loyale wagons, it's time for a new car. I'm considering a 4th or 5th generation Outback, but not really sure what year to go with, as they all seem to have different issues. I'm looking for a long term car (hoping to drive it 10+ years and get 200,000 out of it), so my main concern is reliability and keeping maintenance and repair costs down. With that in mind, are there certain years/configurations that stand out as more dependable/less expensive than others? Any particular years/configurations that really suck and should be avoided? (what are the issues that model has?)
I'm not worried about 2.4 vs 3.6 engine as either is acceptable after driving the 1.8 for years. Don't care what bells and whistles it has, my main focus is being dependable and not facing major repair expenses like replacing the transmission. Is there a particular year(s) where the CVT seems more reliable than others? That seems to be a major problem with the current Outbacks.
Please let me know where your knowledge/experience comes from ie an owner of said model (or of multiple models), a mechanic, sales manager, etc. I'd like to see what people in the trenches with hands on knowledge and experience think vs all the marketing fluff put out by Consumer Reports, Motortrend and the like.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ask a Question