08 Outback - power locks wont lock - unlocks itself

Reaction score
Hello,
This is first time I've ever seen this. When I use power locks to lock car door, they immediately unlock themselves. All 4 doors have to be manually locked.

This is probably the reason - When the key is removed from ignition, the car keeps dinging like it thinks the key is still in.

Anyone else been through this one?

Likely a mechanical problem with the ignition switch assembly. The security system "assumes" the ignition key is still inside the cylinder, therefore will unlock the vehicle with that assumption.

As said above. The car senses the key is still in ignition and won't lock the car for fear of you locking keys in the car. I've had this before on another manufacturer and found success by taking a vacuum to the key/tumbler area and totally suck it out. You could (be very carefull) put a bit of silicone spray in it directly after, or a bit on the key and work it in. Be careful not to soak it. My bet would be that the vacuum will do it.

Ask a Question