Turn signal/ dash/ headlights all out

Reaction score
Recently got an 86 GL, in decent shape, but the turn signals, headlights (not high beams) and turn signal indicators on the dash all do not work. I've replaced all fuses and checked the headlights and turn signals for a short. It seems like all of those things might be on the same circuit? Anyone have any ideas?

Recently got an 86 GL, in decent shape, but the turn signals, headlights (not high beams) and turn signal indicators on the dash all do not work. I've replaced all fuses and checked the headlights and turn signals for a short. It seems like all of those things might be on the same circuit? Anyone have any ideas?
Yes. Sounds like the "multi function switch" took a crap.
This is the switch that you use to turn on the lights, flip it up or down to activate the blinkers.
These usually are not worth repairing, and you will have to get one from a junkyard or maybe the stealership can order one for you, to match the interior color of the car.
When you go to remove the part from the steering column, disconnect the battery first.
Also look at the electrical plug when you remove it. It COULD be as simple as a broken power wire to the plug.
Good Luck!
AMLOR

Yes. Sounds like the "multi function switch" took a crap.
This is the switch that you use to turn on the lights, flip it up or down to activate the blinkers.
These usually are not worth repairing, and you will have to get one from a junkyard or maybe the stealership can order one for you, to match the interior color of the car.
When you go to remove the part from the steering column, disconnect the battery first.
Also look at the electrical plug when you remove it. It COULD be as simple as a broken power wire to the plug.
Good Luck!
AMLOR
Ok do you think it's the multi function switch? It works to turn the high beams in and the dash indicators and general dash light doesn't work.

Ok do you think it's the multi function switch? It works to turn the high beams in and the dash indicators and general dash light doesn't work.
That is my best guess since I'm not looking at it. If the switch goes out, not all of the functions necessarily die at once.
As you stated above you still have your high beams.
Since the turn signals don't work, I am betting that the indicators on the dash are tied to the same circuit. If only the indicators come on and not the turn signals themselves, that would most likely be a different issue.
The dash lights are probably tied to the headlights, through a secondary circuit breaker; loose the low beams, loose the dash lights.
All four of the issues you mentioned are run through that multi function switch; some cars also have wiper control on these too.

Ask a Question