Turn Signal Whining Sound

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got an 07 Impreza Outback Sport and a strange issue happened last weekend-- whenever I flip the turn signal switch, it makes a strange whining sound for as long as the switch is flipped (video attached below). The turn signal itself does not turn on.

https://youtube.com/shorts/UyYjfTEHgSs?feature=share

However, when I hit the hazard lights, the flashers work perfectly fine. Furthermore, the other functions on the turn signal switch (headlights and dashboard light dimmer) work fine as well.

I replaced the turn signal switch with a replacement part, but the exact same issue persists.

The issue first happened as a one-off occurrence during an hourlong drive, and it didn't happen again for another day or so. But then it started to happen every time the turn signal was used. Early in that period, it was possible to get the turn signal to work if you very gently flipped the switch, but now it doesn't work at all.

I would appreciate your thoughts and advice!

Have the models network scanned with a proper Subaru SSM tool. Recorded faults may be a hint of possible errors.
Make sure the relative powers and grounds are intact. If not familiar with electrical diagnosis, hire a professional.

Attachments

• 07 Impreza Outback Sport Exterior Lighting.pdf
    110.2 KB · Views: 4

Ask a Question