Transmission service 2020 Forester

Reaction score
Just purchased a new to us 2020 Forester with my wife at the helm. I get to do the maintenance. Anyway I have not located the maintenance manual yet but I think the first transmission fluid change will be between 30000 and 60000 miles.

I for some reason don't mind doing the maintenance on our vehicles. My daily driver is a 2017 Toyota Tundra. I have completed a fluid change on the transmission. The Tundra has a closed transmission. I believe Subaru is the same. Anyway the process of checking the level you take a wire and jump the OBDII and do a gear sequence to put the vehicle into a check mode for correct transmission temperature. That allows you to check for the correct level of fluid.

Has anyone heard of of such a process for the Forester? Only watched one video and the mechanic says use a temp gun. That would be incorrect way to check the temperature. If anyone knows of a correct video or manual worth reading please post.

Thanks in advance.

Ask a Question